Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5 Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for new tires for my 2011 Subaru Forester Premium. I'm looking for an all season tire with low noise, and fairly good on snow for Buffalo, NY winters. Not too concerned about treadlife, just want a nice ride.

The two I narrowed it down to are as follows:

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (H) rated

or

Continental PureContact (V) rated

Both are rated highly on Consumer Reports website & Tires Direct.

Not sure if speed ratings make any difference between the two. Any opinions or experience between the two?

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Don't exclude Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
It is time for new tires for my 2011 Subaru Forester Premium. I'm looking for an all season tire with low noise, and fairly good on snow for Buffalo, NY winters. Not too concerned about treadlife, just want a nice ride.

The two I narrowed it down to are as follows:

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (H) rated

or

Continental PureContact (V) rated

Both are rated highly on Consumer Reports website & Tires Direct.

Not sure if speed ratings make any difference between the two. Any opinions or experience between the two?
I have PureContact. If you want snow/rain performance go for PureContact. If you are for ride quality go for MXV4.

EDIT: few more thoughts: Continental DWS reportedly uses 5-10% more gas than Purecontact. General RT43 has Continental technology for less so you might consider it as well. Still, if you're after ride comfort internet gives great reviews to MXV4...Keep in mind that MXV4 is heavier than Continental so it might affect your MPG in stop and go situations.

·
Registered
2011 2.5XP/AWP 4EAT
436 Posts
I have Primacy MXV4's on my Foz (replaced the stock Yoko Geolanders around 42K). The road noise is night & day. I couldn't believe how they transformed the Foz, much quieter and much, much smoother. The handling is not as crisp, but very tolerable. With my cautious driving, they perform great in rain and very well in snow. I noticed far more traction with the MXV4's over the Geolanders, even when new.

Our MB E350 4matic has Continenetal ProContacts. They produce a lot of road noise. This was my reason for not trying Continentals on the Foz.

·
Registered
02 forester s manual
1,709 Posts
I have run both on the brides 05 legacy gt and still have the well worn mich in the garage as a "just in case" set

heres the 2 things that rise to the top for me

ride quality and mpg - mich

inclement weather perf - conti

I usually drive in a spirited manner , but not stupid , and somestimes "in a very high performance manner" , given the correct enviroment. I work w/ my wife and both sisters at the limits to improve their skills and confidence

the mich was vague and had lower overall grip , but very easy to drive (mush around in the dead zone) at the limit

the conti did EVERYTHING except ride and mpg better , yet at the limit were not as predictable

I am talking absolute limit here , very edge and beyond traction , sliding the whole car in series of corners , slow and fast

most of the time this was at the racetrack or in a very large parking lot , even a/x'ed the mich and it was a mess compared to the yoko s-drives

in real world conditions and driven sanely , both tires actually surprised me w/ overall avail grip in big sweepers considering that they are not performance tires and felt "disconnected" or "wooden" in comparison

conti dws is better than both but comes w/ it comprimises as well

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
just an FYI, I spoke with Butch at TireRack and he said the Michelin Primacy MXV4 is being discontinued. I don't know if it's just certain sizes or the whole shebang. No idea what they're replacing it with.

·
Registered
2014 XT Limited CVT
2 Posts
Conti Pure Contact

Didn't like the looks of the OEM Stones or the reviews. Removed & sold with 40 miles on them. Have a set of Pure Contacts mounted and ready to go on. Won't be long now, get the winter wheels off and we'll see how new Continental's feel. Like the 70,000 mile warranty!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts