Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon everyone.
SOA states that its coolant is a non-amine, phosphate-type to protect aluminum (Subaru) engine. Prestone is a silicate/phosphate/borate/nitrite free coolant but it also claims to protect: " ....... all engine cooling system metals including aluminum."
My questions are (1) Are both statements correct? and (2) Is Preston safe to use on Subaru or, in particular, my 04Forester2.5X?. In combination with the Subaru coolant conditioner, of course. Thank you. Donald D.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
I wouldn't chance it, especially if your car is still under warranty. Just stick with the subie coolant + conditioner.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,221 Posts
^^ I totally agree, but don't be surprised if your Subaru dealership doesn't use Subaru coolant. My very large Subaru dealership uses SHELLZONE coolant with Subaru conditioner & Redline water wetter. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cost difference between them is less than $10, not enough to take risk. But somehow I did it last weekend to save $$ ..... something that can come back to bite hard later? Particularly with the head gasket problem on even model year 2003. Donald D.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
The cost difference between them is less than $10, not enough to take risk. But somehow I did it last weekend to save $$ ..... something that can come back to bite hard later? Particularly with the head gasket problem on even model year 2003. Donald D.
my dealer uses peak global -- as do I :biggrin:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,221 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your reply.

I am still very confusing regard the PHOSPHATE issue in coolant. If both PEAK GLOBAL and SHELL ZONE are similar to PRESTONE as a phosphate-free type ..... the I would drop this issue. Donald D.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
^^ I totally agree, but don't be surprised if your Subaru dealership doesn't use Subaru coolant. My very large Subaru dealership uses SHELLZONE coolant with Subaru conditioner & Redline water wetter. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
FYI shellzone does -not- meet subaru's coolant specs. Subaru says to use a non silicate coolant while shellzone is just a "low silicate" coolant.

I'm curious about the prestone as well about the phosphate issue as I have an unopened bottle of their normal premixed coolant that a neighbor left in my garage when moving out.

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
can someone make a "final thread on subaru and coolant?" cuz i have no idea what to use. I skipped my 90K coolant flush cuz i was confused.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So basically what that thread says is to use a non-phosphate non-silicate coolant.

Therefore the prestone and peak coolants should work perfectly along with the OEM coolants.

IMO I wouldn't use the coolant "conditioner" unless you're having issues or you have one of the older DOHC models (my98). As it is just a repackaged holtz radweld stop leak.

However I would still not use that ShellZone, as it DOES contain silicate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts