Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering buying a 2000 psi pressure washer to clean salt from my 2010 Forester, especially the undercarriage.

Is there any danger that this much pressure may create a problem - perhaps injecting water past seals where it doesn't belong?

The model that I'm considering has only a straight wand, I assume that I'll need to get a bent wand or bend my wand to do a good job with the roof and undercarriage.

suggestions please.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
With a pressure washer the nozzle make a differnence as to the concentration of the spray, if you use a nozzle that gives a wide fan, then your issues of getting around seals is less.

Also, most pressure washers I have used let you adjust the pressure, 2000 psi in a very narrow pattern will cut you and anything else in its path. Just be careful in its use on the car.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Power washer is overkill. Just hose off the bottom...

That kind of pressure will cut right through rubber if you're too close, ripping your cv boots would suck!

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2000 psi pressure washer to clean salt from my 2010 Forester, especially the undercarriage... suggestions please.
2000 psi will strip off the factory undercoating mastic and eat through rubber parts.

This gentle washer will do a great job:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f80/xr7700-undercarriage-washer-fozzie-edition-25049/

I made mine like this, from a Gilmour # 876R sprinkler and PVC pipe sections, and it loads my driveway with grit removed from underneath the car:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
That would scare he to use a 2000 psi washer on a car. This is why I purchased a low power version for cleaning the mud off my FXT.

A nice fan pattern will remove the mud and NOT paint. I will get on my knees and spray the uderside of the FXT. Does the trick for me.

Your washer reminds me of a commercial when a guy uses a high power washer and forgets to adjust it before taking the paint off his old Corvette. Be careful.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Take hose. Connect sprinkler. Place sprinkler under car. Allow to run for a few minutes. Move sprinkler for full coverage. Allow to run for a few more minutes.

TADA!

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Oddly enough, I use a 2000 PSI washer every spring on the underside of both of our Subbies. Did it to the Foz yesterday actually. Sure, the roads may get salted again, and the cars will get trashed as usual on our red gravel/clay driveway, but it really helps keep the buildup down.

Jet spray will most certainly strip off undercoating. A fan spray works perfectly though! Enough pressure to strip off mud and salt easily, but not so much as to hurt anything. I spent an hour under there cleaning, with the car up on jackstands. Wheels off, cleaned them out too! :smile:

The Outback will get its dangly bits cleaned next week, I think. After that, the wheel wells will get re-undercoated, since the stuff the dealer put on in WA is finally almost gone.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
A pressure washer seems like overkill in this instance. If you don't mind the bend a Home Depot hose sprayer works fine. If you would prefer not to bend (the case at my age) Griot's Garage has a nifty hose adapter wand that pivots to get all the nasties off down there. A nice hard fan spray but not hard enough to do damage to anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts