Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 80K miles I just did my first brake job on my 02 Forester. Easiest pad change ever. But the use of a pressure bleeder to change the brake fluid didn't go as smooth. Leaky cap, even though it seemed really tight. I was wondering, does the float in the reservoir have any effect on trying to force fluid thru the system? Is the float easily removed? Any tips on pressure bleeding this Forester? Any recommendations on where to get a better fitting cap?

Thanks in advance,

George

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Were you using a product similar to this?

I don't think the float would have anything to do with it. What did the fluid being pushed out of the system look like?

As for the cap, the gasket might not have sealed things as well. Motive makes replacement caps for their products, you might be able to cobble something together using your tools and their parts.

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
I just bles my brakes with the motive power bleeder and it was awsome!! It was my first time bleeding brakes too. Just the hardest part was the cap bcuz u have to make sure it's on tight it popped off the first time with pressure added. U hav to make sure the threads match up and it's tight or else POP. Then it was getting it off it's a tight squeeze under the AC lines and a strut tower bar. In all it took 30 minutes without the time putting the car on stands. Oh another thing is my tubing attached to thr caliper was too big 1/4" so some fluid leaked from the tube onto the caliper and it got messy. But overall a very great product and highly recommed it

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
4 Posts
I'm reviving this two year old thread as it's related to my current dilemma and maybe someone has a tip. I just bled my '05 brakes using the Motive bleeder. Getting the master cylinder adapter cap on wasn't too hard and it sealed perfectly. BUT....I absolutely cannot get it off. It seems virtually impossible to push down on the cap and turn it (counterclockwise) at the same time. For now I just disconnected the adapter hose from the main hose and capped off the brass fitting, leaving it dangling. Any words of wisdom on removing the cap? Fortunately my son works at a Subaru dealership so he can have one of the mechanics get it off next week if I can't figure it out. It's just that after working on cars for over 40 years I hate to be stumped by something so trivial.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,124 Posts
Without pulling the cap off and looking at it....I'll do that tomorrow (its outside in the dark). You might try lifting up on the cap when it reaches that tight spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts