Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new to forum. Bought a 2010 forester yesterday. Somehow I bought the so called "prepaid maintenance plan" which I didn't intend to buy. 3yr/45K miles, the dealer charged $1800 bucks. Wondering if I paid too much. I didn't negotiate here. This is not extended warranty. Just maintenance plan for 45K miles/3yr. He said, its vaild at any Subaru dealer in USA/Canada.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
If you use it, they are not a bad thing, If you fall into the DIYer category and only use it a few times you will loose out.

Best thing to do is add up all the service appointments it would cover and see how you made out.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
That would be about 15 oil changes at 3k miles, + the 30k service. If the oil changes are 50$ thats only 750+~300 for the 30k, I can't see how it could possibly be beneficial at all. No offense, but how could you buy a car without negotiating or even looking over what you were getting?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry funkymonkey1002, here in CA, 30K mile costs atleast $600 at dealer (and $350 at gas-stations). And oil changes at 7.5K miles costs about 150+. Thats price for my honda -civic. I assume subaru might be expensive than civic.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just tallied up the costs for all the dealer recommended maintenance for my first 45k miles and my total comes to a little under $1200.

That includes 6 basic level one glorified oil changes at about $30, 3 level two at about $75, the 15k and 45k at about $150, and the 30k at about $450. Subaru does send out coupons regularly so the prices without coupons would be a little higher, but even so, I think I'd still be quite a bit under $1800. Just for fair comparison, I'm in MA.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Somehow I bought the so called "prepaid maintenance plan" which I didn't intend to buy. 3yr/45K miles, the dealer charged $1800 bucks. Wondering if I paid too much.
I’d say yes, you paid too much. :icon_sad:

Here in Washington D.C.'s northern Virginia suburbs, my local dealer’s published rates for all scheduled services through 45K miles (12 visits, including the intermediate 3,750 mile oil & filter changes) add up to $1,303 plus shop supplies and tax (another ~10% for both). However, the dealer also usually offers a 15% discount for late afternoon appointments (3 PM – 8 PM, Tues. – Fri.).

The breakdown includes $42 each for basic 3,750 mile services (x6); $65 each for the 7,500-, 22,500-, and 37,500 miles services, $133 each for the 15K- and 45K services, and $590 for the 30K service.

And, other dealers may charge less than some big-city shops. For example, I had my car’s 7,500 mile service done at Courtesy Subaru in Rapid City, SD, last summer. The out-the-door price, including shop supplies, sales tax, and a wash, was $59.51.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Gotta figure, whatever the dealer is selling, the point isn't really to make money for YOU.

If you wait for a service special, you can beat any service package they offer.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Sorry funkymonkey1002, here in CA, 30K mile costs atleast $600 at dealer (and $350 at gas-stations). And oil changes at 7.5K miles costs about 150+. Thats price for my honda -civic. I assume subaru might be expensive than civic.
How could you pay 150 for an oilchange? Even if you're paying shop labor rates and using the top of the line synthetic oil and filters, I can't see over 70$. 30k service is diff fluids, spark plugs (on some models) and some inspections, its about 2-300 worth of service. The dealer here charges 300 for the 30k, maybe up to 5-600 for the 60k on turbo models that require the iridium plugs at the most expensive. You're paying WAY too much.

Even for oil changes every 3k, this service plan sounds like a huge ripoff. I'd see what you can do to cancel it and get your money back. At the most expensive estimate I can't come up with more than about 1300$ for 45k worth of service.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I paid less than $800 thru the dealer for the same plan on my 05 X. The 30k alone is normally $600, so it seemed reasonable to me.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Too much? Yes.

We aren't even figuring in the interest if this was added to the bank note...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Funkymonkey, which dealer in your area is doing the 30K service for $300?
Steve
09 2.5X AT
For everything on the dealer's recommended list they have it as around 400. However a good majority of the stuff the dealers recommend aren't on the actual subaru recommended maintenance list. For just the required 30,000 maintenance in the book it comes out to around 300 usually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts