Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird issue happen to me two separate occasions, wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Basically, when I parked the car, I hit the Start button to turn the car off. The radio stays on as designed until you open the door. I noticed when I opened the door to exit the car, the radio stayed on. Hmm, that's weird. A quick glance around the panels suggested the car had put itself into accessory or on mode, without the ignition running.

The good news is that it mentioned something about the Remote Key Fob when I opened the door. I didn't close the door and fully exit, so I'm expecting that the alarm or chirp would have sounded.

I noticed the Start button which is usually green when on was turned Orange. Nothing else was suggestive of a problem. I had to push the Start button a few times before it fully turned off, which makes me think it was in accessory mode.

When I got back into the car, it was chirping all kinds of things at me about the key fob again, almost like it was in limbo mode. I pushed and held the Start button for I would estimate around 5-10 seconds, and then it seemed to turn off completely. It was NOT cranking when I held it down (nor was I expecting it to, because it thought it was already "on"...)

I could have easily walked away and left the car draining battery, so really this post is trying to figure out how this happened, how it can be duplicated, and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm thinking I probably had a "double tap" of the Start button, which would be user error. Perhaps the time delay for a double tap is too short, who knows. I'm going to chalk this one up to user error at the moment and see if it happens again. I'm wondering if I put the car in park and turned off the car too "quickly" for the computer to recognize it, since it won't let you turn the car off in drive (anything but neutral or park...)

Anyway, will keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,027 Posts
Was the shifter in other than Park?

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
The keyless start button has 3 positions.
Foot on brake and push button is start (obviously).
But, with your foot OFF the brake the button goes to Accessory mode. A second push of the button with your foot OFF the brake goes to something like on, but without starting.
At anytime, foot on the brake and a push of the button starts the car.
If the KEY message appears it can give a clue to what it is messaging. My 2015 had low battery key fob messages, then key not found when the battery was vey low, or I forgot the fob😣.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts