Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

First some words of praise... My first Forester, bought new 10 years ago in San Francisco, was T-boned by a Ford Explorer last week. The guys at the body shop first wanted to know what in the &^%$ happened, and then couldn't believe I was the driver because I was walking and talking. I walked away with whiplash and a headache (praise God... and the Sube ;-) I'm told she's a total loss... I tear up thinking of all the memories and cross-country drives...

Over the years as the Sube kept on going and going with no problems, I became a loyal fan. And now, after walking away from a broad-side hit, I don't think there's any other car I want to be in.

And so my question... I'd to acquire another Forester, a used one this time. Are there any years or models that are better than others? Any years/models to stay away from?

Many thanks all!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Stay away from anything pre 2003 or your looking at replacing head gaskets at some point in time. Thats my only 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, glad to hear you were able to get out relatively unhurt, sorry to hear your Fozzie gave it's all in protecting you.

You will probably want to be looking at a somewhat newer model just to upgrade yourself. The SG models were the next change after your SF model, they ran from 2003-2008, all of the Foresters have had issues with head gaskets but it seems fewer since 2005, but don't let that scare you. Having the car properly checked out or seeing service records will usually put you at ease. Models around the 100,000 mile mark will need to have the timing belt and related parts replaced for preventative measures for longevity. Try and budget for some maintenance after your purchase anyway, like transmission and differential fluids changed, possibly a coolant flush, always have Subarus Coolant Conditioner (could prevent head gasket issues over time) added at that time as well.

Times like this a lot of people will think to get more money out of the insurance companies, due to their injuries and put it towards their new purchases, but plan wisely you may need that extra money for physiotherapy later for the whiplash.

A good thing to know is the Forester has remained one of the top safety rated cars during it's model run.

Other will be offering advice as well, just keep us informed on your progress, you may find one of our members locally willing to help you out with your search.

Good Luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm selling my 2009, all I can say is stay away from the new car dealership. My wife and I went looking for an older forester and got hooked on the 09. I really like the way this one drives and goes through snow like butter. UMHHHHH BUUUTTTERR

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
I'm selling my 2009, all I can say is stay away from the new car dealership. My wife and I went looking for an older forester and got hooked on the 09. I really like the way this one drives and goes through snow like butter. UMHHHHH BUUUTTTERR
You like it so much that you'd rather sell it?:icon_confused:

·
Registered
2006 Forester
28 Posts
Just my .02, but I got a 2006 X used with ~60k (prior owner had a long daily commute) for a an absolute steal and have had zero issues for about a year and a half now. Just maintenance (knock on wood). It has been bulletproof and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

P.S. Glad to hear you are OK, accidents suck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
If I would be buying a used cars I would only buy it from private seller, you usually have all the records, and you can get general idea who drove it before you. I would never buy used one from a dealer as they are a rip off. As well if you get lucky try to find one with less than 36k (I know is hard but possible) that way you can get extended Subaru warranty for additional protection. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Pardon moi BUT don't all Subies have the HG issue EXCEPT for the 6 cylinder models? I thought that the same engine was used across the line.......except for Turbo'ed models which use a semi floating deck design.

Just want to be specific....checked my overflow bottle last weekend (when we lost power in NH for 3 days) and the antifreeze was nice, clean and green...........Thank God that the HGs seem to be okay at 128K miles.

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I wasn't aware of the HG issues... mine never had that problem, so now I know to look out for it and have a better sense of model years to look for also.

I test drove the 2010 x Premium today. I shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't help myself. It was nice and VERY different from my 2000 L. Will make it hard to go used now ;-)

The 2010 Outback was nice too...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
The 2010 Outback was nice too...
I really like the new Outback Design as well as the Legecy! The headlight design is just too cool!

Glad to hear you're OK. Did you get struck on the passenger's side or driver's?

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi INSubbie,

It was the passenger side. The impact made the car spin almost 360...which thinking back, could have been a good thing (i.e. it sort of bounced off the Explorer as opposed to staying in place and taking on more of the force of the impact.)

I agree on the Outback... the new styling is cool!

Take care!

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 4EAT
1,062 Posts
Morbid question:

Have any pics of what is left of your Forester? I'm always impressed to see the abuse a Subaru can take and still protect the passengers.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
I prefer the Forester to the Outback. The visibility in the Forester is much better. I also fell in love with the panoramic moonroof.

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey DeadBird,

I'm the same way... just have one close up that shows the point of impact.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts