Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, minor issue here...

My power windows have been freezing shut in the past couple months of cold.

While this isn't a huge issue, it is rather annoying when I want to vent warm air/moisture. I know to run my AC when it's too foggy, but sometimes it isn't quite enough (such as post martial arts when I'm sweating 3 liters of water per millisecond on my drive home). When I try to crack the windows, they just refused to budge more than a micrometer. I've been working the control for each window up and down until it wiggles itself free, but A) that takes a while and is distracting during the drive and B) I doubt it's much fun for the electric motors for the windows.

Does anyone have a more effective or elegant method for preventing or solving this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Yes, but no big deal. Happened to me even here in Jersey when the temps dropped to single digits and below.

Get the heat going in the vehicle, set the dash vents to blow directly on the side windows, passenger and drivers side.

Shut off the center vents got get more blowing of the warm/hot air to the windows.

In about 5 minutes or less, the windows will open.

The problem is moisture is getting into the window somewhere and freezing the window to whatever.

Just blow heat on the window from the dash vents. It will free them up quickly.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
I have had the same problem also. I washed it at the auto car wash and it was blown dry as you pull out. That night it got down to below 0. When I got in in the morning none of them would move. I got my wife's hair dryer and from the inside ( set on low heat) they defrosted in a few minutes. Now when I wash it I dry the channels after I pull out of the car wash. I also leave the window down about a quarter inch over night ( in the garage) and put them up in the morning. Works good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,240 Posts
BMW used to sell Gummi Pflege. They discontinued the original version due to environmental regs. I still have little left. This stuff is the bees knees and would cure that issue.

Amazon has a modern version that has good ratings. I have no experience with the new stuff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's the seal at the bottom of the window and top of the door. The easiest solution is to not have the windows 100% up at night, but rather 99%. So in the morning the 1% up breaks the ice rather than relying on wiggling to combat it.

Other wise what I do is simply wiggle while banging the base of the window with my fist gently.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,124 Posts
Every vehicle ever made has window freezing issues in really cold winter weather when it's been outdoors. I am in Michigan and the temp was zero last night. I drove my Ford van today which had been sitting outdoors. I didn't lower the windows till they thawed.

Scrape your windows well and then heat them up well before you attempt to lower them or you will destroy the regulators. I have replaced or helped replace numerous regulators that people have ruined by trying to lower windows that were basically glued in place.

Keep the car in a garage with no precipitation is my only advice. Or start the car and let it run for a while per the last poster's advice before you try to lower the windows. So long as any window has a rubber gasket against it at the bottom, and there is frozen water making them stick together, this is an issue with any car, any brand.

NOTE also that virtually every car has a way to vent the interior that does not involve open windows. Usually there is a 1-way diaphragm venting thru the trunk or the lower rear quarters so you can blow the fan inside without over pressurizing the interior. I believe the latter is the case with the Foz. You don't need to open your windows! Just clear the air intakes on the cowl, aim the heat ducts where they will do the most good to defog, and you're good.

George

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,124 Posts
Windows frozen shut? Could be worse. :biggrin:
Let me tell you this pleiad7.

It will be hard for me to NOT ever own a Forester because you, and this forum, are so wonderful. I have been involved in many forums--cars and guitars and stuff--over the years-since 1996--and this is the most pleasant forum that I have ever known.

And I love my Subaru, just like TV ads would have you think :)

Thanks for all you do! George

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The feeling is mutual, George. Right back atcha! :smile:

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Automatic
22 Posts
Keep a small can of methyl alcohol in the car and spray it as needed when they freeze shut. That's what I do.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
My power windows have been freezing shut in the past couple months of cold.

While this isn't a huge issue, it is rather annoying when I want to vent warm air/moisture. I know to run my AC when it's too foggy, but sometimes it isn't quite enough (such as post martial arts when I'm sweating 3 liters of water per millisecond on my drive home). When I try to crack the windows, they just refused to budge more than a micrometer. I've been working the control for each window up and down until it wiggles itself free, but A) that takes a while and is distracting during the drive and B) I doubt it's much fun for the electric motors for the windows.
Get a can or tube of silicon lubricant. Before the big freeze, coat the top of the window (that touches the seal) and the front edge (the fits in the channel). The windows will work easier in good weather and will be much less prone to stick in freezing weather. Sil-glyde works fine. A spray can of silicone will work but the tube or paste variety is less messy and lasts longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts