Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm traveling on vacation with my '98 Forester, and the rear power windows and passenger-side front power window quit working. Driver's window window still works. The owner's manual doesn't show any fuses for the windows, and my late-night check of the fuses didn't find any blown fuses.

Any ideas where to look next?

thanks,

Tom

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,959 Posts
This happened last week with my wife's Impreza. After checking all the fuses, analyzing the wiring diagram, and finding the location of the relevant circuit breaker and relay, I then discovered the kiddie safety lock, which is that button on the driver's armrest with an X on it. May you be as lucky!

In my haste to share my new found knowledge and help you out of your predicament, I neglected to first take note of your location. Hi, neighbor! Welcome to the forum. Subaru, the official car of New England! LFOD!

Are you one of those people whose Foresters I've been tagging around town?

·
Registered
2008 Forester SG9 2.5XT
130 Posts
As what bbottomley said, try looking at the child safety lock at the side of your door.

If it still not working then it should be the motor relay switch or your power window motor. I had same problem too, check all wiring and there's power to the windows, send back to the agent & found that the motor relay switch died. Replacement cost was S$240+

Fyi, there's no fuses for power windows.

Hope it helps.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,959 Posts
With 3 windows out, I doubt that it's a motor problem. Especially those three.

I did find out that the power windows share a big fuse with lots of other circuits, and then they have their own dedicated circuit breaker. I wonder why they adopted this sort of hybrid approach? You would never learn this from the owners manual. It took analysis of the wiring diagram.

SG models. YMMV on earlier ones.

·
Registered
05 Forester LL Bean 2.5L
2 Posts
thanks for fixing my problem!

Hi All,

I came to this forum to solve a coupla problems, and am so thankful that I did.

The problem of all windows, except the driver window, not working was a very easy fix - thank you to the members of this forum.

Yes, I must have hit the child window lock button - pressing it again, now all the windows are working fine!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
2005 WRX and 05 foziXT 5 speed
89 Posts
ARH

Having similar issues. So PSF window wont go up, so I ordered new motor and same thing is going on. Both Switch from DS and PS will not take it up.

After reversing the polarity on both the motors I realized both are functional.

Hopefully I can source a new PS switch to see if that does it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
730 Posts
Having the same problem here. The rear windows died first, one while half way down. I held the switch in the up position for several seconds and it finally went back up. The front passenger side had the same issue yesterday. Calling the dealer to see what they say.

Bill

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Windows are a either/or problem... either the switch or the motor. I take the door panel off, unplug the motor and apply power and ground to the motor. Anything happen? reverse the power and ground wires. Anything. If you cannot get the motor to operate in this manor than its the motor; if the motor operated I will usually raise the motor for the customer and leave it unplugged if they don't want to put a switch in it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts