Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a power washer, has anyone got any advice on these. Are they any good? I have always washed with old fashioned elbow grease!
Do these power washers really work?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
used a karcher one on mine for 5 years, paint is still intact.

living round here its the only thing which brings the crap off and comes in uber handy for removing salt from underneath.

as to whether I should use one, i couldnt give a sh8t! it cleans my car!!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
If you're going consumer-grade, be aware that cheapies have brush motors- rather than the induction motors of the better units.

Also be aware that the Karcher units in B&Q, Argos etc are very different to the pro-range stuff. Plastic pumps etc.

But yes, an inbuilt chemical injector is well worth having; just about everything is now auto start/stop, and there's really not a lot if difference in power between them all.

(I spend a bit of time repairing washers for a local motor factors...)

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
I bought a Mobi 17 portable job. Not massively powerful but good enough to wash car. Is great as it runs off 12v on car socket so use it to clean my girls trike when we have been to woods etc. I love it.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If you're going consumer-grade, be aware that cheapies have brush motors- rather than the induction motors of the better units.

Also be aware that the Karcher units in B&Q, Argos etc are very different to the pro-range stuff. Plastic pumps etc.

But yes, an inbuilt chemical injector is well worth having; just about everything is now auto start/stop, and there's really not a lot if difference in power between them all.

(I spend a bit of time repairing washers for a local motor factors...)
I'd stay away from the bright yellow plastic encased consumer grade karcher electrics. We've had 2 of them and they always end up springing massive leaks.

If you don't need one often, I'd suggest renting a pro-grade gas powered model.

·
Registered
05 2.5XT Manual
65 Posts
Aye....stay away from the yellow Karchers. Mine only lasted 2 years of irregular use before losing pressure and their customer service people were hopeless. Took it apart and the pump head was only plastic bits and pieces. Try and get one with (as DPM stated) a brushless induction motor and a brass pump head.

I ended up buying a Wickes own brand (really an Italian make called Lavor I think) that has outlasted the Karcher and is a hell of a lot more powerfull.

Use them carefully at a distance from your paintwork, door/window seals, tyre side walls and valves and you have no bother - use them up close on drive ways and brick work and you be amazed at the crap they shift....along with your pointing if your not careful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye....stay away from the yellow Karchers. Mine only lasted 2 years of irregular use before losing pressure and their customer service people were hopeless. Took it apart and the pump head was only plastic bits and pieces. Try and get one with (as DPM stated) a brushless induction motor and a brass pump head.

I ended up buying a Wickes own brand (really an Italian make called Lavor I think) that has outlasted the Karcher and is a hell of a lot more powerfull.

Use them carefully at a distance from your paintwork, door/window seals, tyre side walls and valves and you have no bother - use them up close on drive ways and brick work and you be amazed at the crap they shift....along with your pointing if your not careful.
I have seen some in machine mart called Nilfisk, never heard of them. Could try out Wickes as you suggest. Anything a fellow geordie says must be right!

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
As mykp says it is great to remove all the crap from the car, specially underneath but a hose with a pistol in the end will do just fine for rinsing it.
If you can attach it to a foam even better. Foam also strips wax though but helps to remove the crap better.
Had a Karcher but only used it a few times, couldnt be bothered with bringing out electric cables etc. besides it would sometimes stop working despite not being used much.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
Agreed, if you use the right combo of products.

:biggrin:
Well let's face it, foam will remove crap so it is bound to remove wax unless there is some magic to it :biggrin:
I agree that by using the right foam you minimise the risk of stripping wax, someone did a test between foams in DW and the wax will last longer by using certain products but it will go in the end after weeks of usage.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Well let's face it, foam will remove crap so it is bound to remove wax unless there is some magic to it :biggrin:
I agree that by using the right foam you minimise the risk of stripping wax, someone did a test between foams in DW and the wax will last longer by using certain products but it will go in the end after weeks of usage.
Yep it's magic - in the same way as using a rock will remove just as much dirt from your car as using the softest lambswool washmit will ... only with slightly less paint remaining afterwards :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts