Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I noticed my '19 Limited is surging and bucking under light acceleration (around 1700 - 2000 RPM, give or take). For example, when I'm gently merging onto the interstate.

What happens is that the car feels as if I'm rapidly pulsing the accelerator hard, about 3-4 times per second. This surging / bucking always starts off weak and very quickly grows in intensity. After 2-3 seconds it's enough to make me think the CVT is going to tear itself apart! I can immediately fix the issue by letting off the accelerator.

Unfortunately this doesn't happen often so I can't find any cause or common conditions. All I know is it happens during light acceleration while the vehicle is already moving. So far this has not happened during urban driving, hard acceleration, or when applying power to get up a hill. I was consistently using Costco gas but after reading about a similar issue in an '06 that OP believed was linked to Costco gas, I switched to a variety of local convenience stores.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've notice a very very slight surging when light acceleration with everything still cold. Nothing like you have described. It's only happened a few times under very light throttle. I just assume it's the CVT hunting up and down the ratios. Yours sounds much much worse. I wonder of this is all mechanical or some type of programming issue that could be improved on in the future. hrmmm

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've been in the 80s and low 90s here the past few months, so although the ambient temperature is relatively warm and the cold engine light is off, the vehicle has typically been running for 3-5 minutes when this happens. I'm not sure if that puts me in "cold engine" territory or not.

I also hope it's a programming issue that can be addressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts