Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I installed my Sirius radio, it came out really nice with the Starmate replay mounted in the flip-down sunglasses holder in the ceiling and everything hard-wired with no exposed wires. I used the spare power supply next to the fusebox to the left of the steering wheel.

The only problem is I can't listen to the sat radio if the car is off. You know how you can turn the key one click forward to just turn the stock radio on? How can I make the sat unit do the same thing?

I'll post pics of my install, the first round of pictures I took came out bad.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
You need a constant power source. Something like a direct circut from the battery or a way to trick the sys. into thinking the key is in and turned on. And there are several ways to do that...

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Galager said:
The only problem is I can't listen to the sat radio if the car is off. You know how you can turn the key one click forward to just turn the stock radio on? How can I make the sat unit do the same thing?
Guess the power source you found is switched with the "ign" not "acc" position. How much current does the sat radio draw? If it's not much then you can probably splice it into the stock radio power lead. Or if you are worried about overloading the wire or fuse for the stock radio, find a permanent +ve and run it through a relay that's driven off the stock radio lead.

-- Steve

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe, and I could be way off here, it was 9 or 12 volts from what I've read. I simply used a spare cig lead adapter from Radio Shack and connected that to the spare power supply under the dash, plugging the cig lead that came with the radio into that.

I've seen another spare power supply wire (I think) under the radio near the ECU. Might that be ACC switched?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure if it's a acc switched power source, but I remeber hearing of people slicing into the clock for power, or a wire that passes by the clock.

Bland...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts