Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
After attempting to fix my growing power steering issues on my own (O-ring replacement, flush fluid, replace clamps), I finally caved and had the pump replaced earlier this week by a local shop I have used in the past. They were very transparent about their findings and the efforts/parts needed to do the replacement so I felt comfortable with them doing the job. After receiving the car back, the steering worked flawlessly which was a relief after it giving me problems for sometime and my attempts not really working.

After looking under the hood the following evening, I found a few things that caught me by surprise. These things might not be a big deal at all, but I wanted to get your thoughts in case they were items I should follow up on. I have included a few images.

-The replacement pump was OEM# 34430sa020 which I searched for and found that it has since been replaced by another Subaru part. Is it safe for shops to use parts that have been superseded?
-I noticed that something looked different about the assembly, and found that what I think is the pressurized line had been rerouted in a different way than originally installed. In the picture, I recall the default placement of this line is coming in -45 degrees than what is show. Again might not be a big deal, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.
-Lastly, I think they forgot to include the bracket that stabilizes the belt cover to the pump. I thought that I might ask if they had this bracket on hand and install it myself since the factory assembly had it this way.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Like I said it is running fine, but I wanted to check on these things since they just completed the job (and it wasn't cheap).
Appreciate any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 X AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to put this out there again and send a follow-up.

After driving the car this morning I noticed a bit of burning coming from under the hood and thought well that is probably normal, they likely spilled some fluid during the install. Turns out that some fluid was leaking from the pressure hose where it meets the pump in the original post. There was a bit of fluid pooling below the pump.

I called the shop and am taking it back in first thing tomorrow. If anyone has any thoughts on the other items I mentioned I'd appreciate the share!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
848 Posts
There are several o rings and seals that need to be replaced when replacing an oil pump. The new superseded part costs an extra $150, so the shop probably wanted to save money.

There’s a reason why there’s a new part number. I have an 03 Forester with the original oil pump and no issues.

I would ask the shop if they replaced all of the o rings and seals. There are 6 total.

Did they use Subaru atf fluid?

·
Registered
2006 X AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are several o rings and seals that need to be replaced when replacing an oil pump. The new superseded part costs an extra $150, so the shop probably wanted to save money.

There’s a reason why there’s a new part number. I have an 03 Forester with the original oil pump and no issues.

I would ask the shop if they replaced all of the o rings and seals. There are 6 total.

Did they use Subaru atf fluid?
Thanks for the reply. They did use ATF, I made sure to ask that.
When you mention the new part and your original pump still working well, are you suggesting the original part is better or the newer one? I assuming Subaru replaced the OEM part due to issues with it.

I stopped by the shop again and spoke to the owner. He is certain that the fluid around the pump was spilled from the install and one of his guys not doing an appropriate job of cleaning it up (he assured me that this was not typical, and did a quick manual clean-up). He also agreed that the belt shield bracket was missing, he ordered the part and is installing it Monday.

I'm still convinced that something is up with the connection of the pressure line, it still looks pretty wet around the seal, but it hard to capture in photo. I suppose the only way to make it apparent to them is to watch the reservoir level and report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Forester
86 Posts
I’d spry some brake cleaner and dab with shop towels to soak up and clean. Also place shop towels around the area before spaying to ensure you catch the drip. Drive for couple of days to see if it leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Yea, so it looks like they used a Cardone 21-329 Power Steering pump. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-21-329-Remanufactured-Power-Steering/dp/B001KQUV3E[/ame]

I would not be surprised you dont have a multitude of issues with that pump, including poor seal at the pressure port.

Why is the wet area not red? The ATF should be red shouldn't it?

Maybe use some oil UV tracer.

How much did they charge you? Labor should be fairly minimal for a PS pump replacement. A cardone ps pump is only like $150.

·
Registered
2006 X AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d spry some brake cleaner and dab with shop towels to soak up and clean. Also place shop towels around the area before spaying to ensure you catch the drip. Drive for couple of days to see if it leaks.
Makes sense, that should be the next thing I do.

Yea, so it looks like they used a Cardone 21-329 Power Steering pump. https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-21-329-Remanufactured-Power-Steering/dp/B001KQUV3E

I would not be surprised you dont have a multitude of issues with that pump, including poor seal at the pressure port.

Why is the wet area not red? The ATF should be red shouldn't it?

Maybe use some oil UV tracer.

How much did they charge you? Labor should be fairly minimal for a PS pump replacement. A cardone ps pump is only like $150.
Thanks for the tip! The first photo shows an OEM# sticker, would that mean it is an OEM part? Fluid is red seeing it in-person.
They charged around $400 for the pump and a new belt, $220 for labor, $120 for power steering protection package, flush, and waste fee. Plus taxes, I was near $800.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I read that sticker, its part number 21-329, and the second number is the equivalent subaru OEM part.

if you search for 21-329 power steering pump, the only pump that comes up is the cardone remanufactured pump which IMHO says it's a cardone pump. I would be asking to see their invoice that it's a brand new $400 subaru pump.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
848 Posts
If the shop installed a new oem SUBARU oil pump, it should have Fuji heavy industries on it, made in Japan. The newest pump goes for $459 Part # 34430SA0219L

Subaru updated this pump and I have the old version, which is still working without issue. An A1 cardone pump is not in the same league as oem and could be the cause of your problems.

Check the writing on the pump and ask them if it’s oem.

·
Registered
2006 X AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, just wanted to send a final follow-up. As I mentioned earlier, they forgot the belt shield bracket and installed it back on a few days later. After driving for a few weeks, the fluid level in the reservoir dropped below low so I final had some proof to show them that something was up. I took it back to the shop and they looked it over to find that the o-ring on the pressure line was snapped during the install and caused the leak. They redid the work, cleaned it up (thoroughly this time), and it seams to be leak-free since.

Next time I'm under the hood I am going to look for the lettering on the pump. Thanks again all for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts