Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Subaru Forrester with about 70k miles. Recently we started hearing some squeeking at low speeds when turning the wheel sharply (pulling out of parking stalls, etc.). Today the power steering went out, and the battery light and brake light came on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
I have a 2004 Subaru forester with about 70k miles. Recently we started hearing some squeeking at low speeds when turning the wheel sharply (pulling out of parking stalls, etc.). Today the power steering went out, and the battery light and brake light came on. Any ideas?
On my mom's 2002 Foz when turning the wheel sharply and it was making awful wheezing/rubbing noise = Belt.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Did your belt brake? I wonder if it was loose or going bad & now has broke. If it did you will loose your alt & power steering. So your battery & other lights will turn on.

joe r

·
Registered
2013 Forester CVT
7 Posts
Hi guys,
I have Subaru Forester 2004 MY05 with 110000 kms on clock.
There is some significant leakage from power steering underneath the car, so the power steering unit needs to be repaired or replaced with the new one. Meantime, I need to add the power steering fluid from time to time to keep suitable level of the fluid until I arrange the repair with mechanic.
Colour of existing fluid looks like yellow/light brown while most of power steering fluids recommended for Subaru Forested 204 and available at car parts shops are red.
Can I mix fluids with different colours or I have to flush the existing one out totally and fill the new one then. If so, how to flush the existing fluid out at home? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
You need a dexron III ATF fluid. If it says that, they all should be comparable and mixing will be no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts