Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

So today I get in my car, go to turn the wheel and it super stiff, then easy to turn, then stiff, etc... It was like the power steering pump was cutting in and out. So I get my roommate to turn the wheel while I take a look at the pump, and bingo, the pulley is starting and stopping.

So I guess my question is. Has anyone had this problem? Does it sound like the pump is on it way out? Or the belt needs replacing or possibly tightened?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
Hey folks,

So today I get in my car, go to turn the wheel and it super stiff, then easy to turn, then stiff, etc... It was like the power steering pump was cutting in and out. So I get my roommate to turn the wheel while I take a look at the pump, and bingo, the pulley is starting and stopping.

So I guess my question is. Has anyone had this problem? Does it sound like the pump is on it way out? Or the belt needs replacing or possibly tightened?

Thanks in advance!
Let me get this right, was the car running while your roommate was turning the wheel? (I am assuming it was). Sounds like your belt needs to be tightened.
Sometimes on older power steering pumps, they get 'morning sickness'. They have a tough time in the morning, when cold, but once they heat up they act normal.
How long has this been doing it? Fluid level ok?
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if i was a bit unclear. The car was running yes. Fluid level is perfect as well!

It started happening yesterday. The weather here has been on the mild side, so I don't think cold is causing it. The belt does look a little old (bought the car used so I'm not totally sure how old) so I will replace that tomorrow and hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
I had the same feeling on my 99. The shop said I needed a new steering shaft because the knuckles were rusting up...
The part was worth over $200 new and I couldn't find one used around here so I thought of a crazy idea to give it the ol' WD-40 treatment... That was well over a year ago and it works prefect now.

Luke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no luck with the new belt guys. Seems like there might be a bit more to it that I thought.

Seems like there's something making the belt stop for a brief period of time. Perhaps the alternator? Would the crank be stopping briefly?

This is breaking my brain! :shrug:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
The belt should be tight so that it deflects 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the pulleys when you apply moderate pressure with your thumb. If either the p/s pump or alt pulleys (bearings) are about to fully seize and the pulley really stops while the motor is running, the belt should squeal loudly.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
The pulley should also be clean so that it doesn't slip. Be careful not to use oily or waxy engine cleaning products on it, and make sure it is completely dry before running the engine. It should also be tight as Woody '04 pointed out. If the power steering fluid has never been changed, that should be done as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts