Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Power steering, funky noise

25K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  macandcheese 
#1 ·
At just under 150,000 miles we're finally having our first issue with the Foz. :icon_frown:

Occasionally, during sharp right hand turns (turning in and out of parking lots, etc..), the power steering system lets out a resonant groan that you not only hear, but feel through the wheel.

It has plenty of fluid, but the fluid has never been changed or anything. Just added-to once at 70k miles when it got a little low. Is there a way I can change it and re-bleed, or do you think that something else might be the problem? It's not the front tires scrubbing on the pavement (we've always had that at full lock). Please help! :tissue: I'm kind of sad, this is the first and only issue we've had with it.

#3 ·
Exactly! And it does sound like that. :lol: It's not something that happens every time. Ever get it fixed?

It only happens when turning right and with the wheel almost at full lock. I got it last night turning into an alleyway, and my mother got it once this morning turning out of a parking lot.

#5 ·
I did not get it fixed because as usual they didn't hear anything. I was going to ask if they could just live with me for a week and drive around with me.. I could show them the problem. I am not sure if Subaru includes that in their warranty.

#9 ·
i wonder if you guys are hearing what i brought my 05 xs into the dealer for.. it's like wah wah wah but sounds more like grinding rocks around in a bucket. seems to only happen when almost turning full lock and with power (acceleration) OFF and brake OFF... basically coasting into a parking spot. used some component ears and found it to be my brake booster.

try replicating the turn and then repeat with your foot on the brake and see if it comes back.

#11 ·
also the tech mentioned that we could try pulling the check valve (it's in the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold) to see if that gets rid of the sound. BUT you must do this is an empty area and do it slowly because your brake pedal will be rock hard and will not function well, if at all, so you need to prepared to use neutral and pull the e-brake.

we got the sound down to a science though.

#14 ·
Well, since your steering fluid hasn't been changed. I would do so. I just removed one of the hoses from the bottom of the fluid container, let it all drain out, and refilled with new tranny fluid (which is what it uses). To bleed the system, you need to run the car and turn the steering wheel from side to side a full revolution (BUT NOT LOCK TO LOCK). You do this about 10 times and add fluid as necessary and careful not to overfill. Once it's at the correct level, you should not see any more bubbles or foaming of the fluid in the container and you're set.

#15 ·
So I replaced the brake booster hose and it sounds like the symptom has gone away. I will need to test more today to be absolutely certain but just taking slow tight turns in my neighborhood produced NO grinding sounds. The hose was roughly $15. The primary reason to replace this, as pointed out by another member, was to replace the check valve. Some Saturns seem to have the same issue and it turns out that a ball bearing inside the check valve comes loose and rattles around during vacuum.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.