Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wife's Camry the doors lock when the car is shifted to Drive. Is there anyway to program the power locks on my Forester to automatically lock the doors?

G

·
Don't know.

My previous car was an Audi and I was offered the opportunity to have this feature installed ,at a cost, when it went in for its first service. Cost me about £50 (say $85) it was programmed so that all doors locked once the car went over 5mph and stayed locked until you pulled on the door release to open a door.
I've noticed the Subaru seat belt reminder starts chiming somewhere between 5-10mph, that plus the fact its got central locking would make you think it should be possible.

Good luck and keep us posted, its a worthwhile feature.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Xantia56: I agree with you. There has to be a way to make this work pretty easily. I was thinking the locks can be triggered by the same switch that turns on the DRL in the parking brake.

Without auto-locks, this is not a car I'd want my wife driving. To many woman disapperaing these days.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peaty

Is there anything that you don't know about a Forester? I am impressed.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
Women are disappearing? :confused:

Auto door locks would make me feel less safe, actually. What if the electrical system takes a dump and you can't open the doors in an emergency (like in a body of water)?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
For the 06 I don't think there is a way to make them lock automatically short of an aftermarket system. The older code alarms (98 and some 99's I think) had a dip switch panel to flip in the main brain. It would lock all doors when you started the car and only unlock the drivers door when you turned the car off (that part was selectable too) I have that on scoobymods somewhere.

Because the OEM system was contracted out and bid on I have a feeling that many of the normal "Alpine" features have not been added due to cost. It may be that the locking feature is there but undocumented like the codealarm. The issue with the Alpine system is there are no 'dip switches' it's all controlled in the main brain's chip. Some of the features can be controlled with a button pushing sequence like chirp or no chirp when arming. If there is a sequence for locking the doors I have not heard of it. I did ask a person that installs system if he knew of any "undocumented" features for the Alpine system. He was not aware of any either.

Having said that, because I have kids (and grew up in New Jersey) I have this habit of automatically locking the doors before I start the car. I don't even realize I do it anymore its been so ingrained in my brain. It's kind of a pain because sometimes my passengers try to get out and can't right away because of this. I live in KS now and the natives think I'm silly for doing this. Many still don't even lock their doors when the get out of the car. I've even seen cars running and empty at some quick shop places.

·
The Modfather
8,070 Posts
pleiad7 said:

Auto door locks would make me feel less safe, actually. What if the electrical system takes a dump and you can't open the doors in an emergency (like in a body of water)?
You can still manually flip the lever inside the pull handle (so the red shows) and unlock the door, that is a mechanical connection. The windows OTOH are a different story...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
pleiad7 said:

Then again, you gotta wonder why they put "child safety" on rear doors then

·
The Modfather
8,070 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Then again, you gotta wonder why they put "child safety" on rear doors then
Spend a week with my daughter and you'll know ;)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Peaty said:
Spend a week with my daughter and you'll know ;)
I almost forgot the good times of putting the child locks on the rear doors when you've got your friends along for a ride. :D

·
The Modfather
8,070 Posts
SenorSubie said:
I almost forgot the good times of putting the child locks on the rear doors when you've got your friends along for a ride. :D
I know, I'm Italian so it makes my friends nervous when they try the door with those on :p :D

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
For those of us with the Alpine system, is there an add on system that works nicely with the stock system and will auto lock the doors & auto roll the windows/sunroof up/down from outside the car?

I don't really want more of an alarm system, I just want some of the features i lost when I moved to Subaru.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
higgledy said:
Xantia56: I agree with you. There has to be a way to make this work pretty easily. I was thinking the locks can be triggered by the same switch that turns on the DRL in the parking brake.

Without auto-locks, this is not a car I'd want my wife driving. To many woman disapperaing these days.
You are trying to balance two risks here and I bet you don't really know which one is the greater:

(1) being involved in an accident in which locked door hinder your escape/rescue
(2) being in an abduction (etc) which locked doors would prevent

-- Steve

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,204 Posts
There's a school of thought that says that one should leave the doors unlocked when traveling in safe places, especially on high speed roads, in order to allow easy access by rescue personnel in the event of an accident.

·
The Modfather
8,070 Posts
I was told that you should lock the doors because when in an accident the door is less likely to fly open and eject the occupent. Not sure how true that is though.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,204 Posts
Might have had some truth in the pre-seatbelt days.

I'm sure that different cars have very different types of lock designs, but I expect that in a typical configuration all that the "lock" actually accomplishes is to get in the way of or disconnect the connection between the door handles and the actual latching mechinism. It wouldn't do much toward actually latching the door any more securely than if it were unlocked. It's not like the deadbolt on your front door, which adds to the security of the door when it's engaged.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
^^^ that's my understanding, too.

And as far as carjackings are concerned, I doubt very much that a locked door would do much to discourage an armed attacker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts