1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just recently bought a 2004 forester XT

here's my delema

bought the car on christmas eve, ( 12/24/09 )

and by new years eve (12/30/09) i had the following mods done to the car,

invidia 3 inch down pipe

3 inch cat back exhaust (no cats)

a monster top mount intercooler, (20x 12x 4.50)

I did a intake silencer delete

A PIT BOV already came on the car so i left it on.

also i installed a nice new set of Forester specific Megan 32 way adjustable coilovers,

i lowered it 3 inches in the front and 2.75 in the rear

not to forget the 3000k hid fogs that just arrived

and the 6000k hid head lights that are on the way.....

heres the big deal... i feel like theres no power gains... lol

yeah there was a very little bit but yeah, anything else i can do bolt on wise?

or do i just have to do a header up pipe/bigger turbo upgrade?

any help is great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
You need a tune! To truly take advantage of the exhaust you will need a tune, especially with a down pipe. It will help you get more power and run better.
As far as bolt on power mods. If you want to ad an intake do it before you get the tune!

After that you can do a turbo or anything else. But with what you have tuning can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
With the new top-mount, like subie roo said, you'll want to maximize potentials with either a remote "e-tune" or a custom ("live") road or dyno-tune.

At the very least, to realize virtually any potential at all, you'll need an off-the-shelf map.

Take a look at this little Car & Driver article, where they played with their '09 WRX:

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

The unlock key is with good engine-management. Cobb's AccessPORT, ECUTeK, or going Open-Source - the "how," i.e. which of these popular methods you choose - is not as relevant as the fact that you need to account for this critical step in the process. :wink: :smile:

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
^
What he said!
I'm a fan of the cobb accessPORT for its ease of use and adaptability!

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^
What he said!
I'm a fan of the cobb accessPORT for its ease of use and adaptability!
one of my buddy tunes his and other subies with open source.

he says as soon as i get a AEM UEGO wide band kit he'll tune it for me for free :)

bad part is i just got laid off lol.. so it'll be a little while yet..

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
one of my buddy tunes his and other subies with open source.

he says as soon as i get a AEM UEGO wide band kit he'll tune it for me for free :)

bad part is i just got laid off lol.. so it'll be a little while yet..
Don't wait long. No tune and your engine may go boom. Swapping out the downpipe without a proper tune is a very bad idea.

At the very least look for a Cobb APv1, which run $200-$300 used and run the stage 2 map. Spending a few hundred now is better than spend a few grand on an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Holy crap you've done a lot to that car in a short amount of time! How do you like the coilovers? Can we get some pics?

Oh, and get that thing tuned right away! I'm still waiting for my tuner to schedule a date so I can install my catless uppipe and invidia downpipe. I've heard horrible things about detonation (sounds like an empty paint can being shaken) when there's no tune on an aftermarket downpipe.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap you've done a lot to that car in a short amount of time! How do you like the coilovers? Can we get some pics?

Oh, and get that thing tuned right away! I'm still waiting for my tuner to schedule a date so I can install my catless uppipe and invidia downpipe. I've heard horrible things about detonation (sounds like an empty paint can being shaken) when there's no tune on an aftermarket downpipe.
oh crap i heard a little bit of that! well looks like i'm gonna have to make a run to perrin performance for a quick flash!

as for the megan's i freakin love them!!! they're awesome and ride comfort is A++ way better then i ever expected

oh and i don't have a camera right now so if you want you cam PM me and i'll send you texts with pics

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
A lack of a map that accounts for both the pre- and post-turbo modifications should not adversely affect durability/reliability, but it can sometimes cause specific (i.e. unique - as in the difference between "your" FXT versus "my" FXT versus "his" FXT) vehicles, with specific/unique modifications to run "a bit weird."

The caution remains true in that a very small percentage of these "weird" runnings truly can endanger some portion of the powertrain.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lack of a map that accounts for both the pre- and post-turbo modifications should not adversely affect durability/reliability, but it can sometimes cause specific (i.e. unique - as in the difference between "your" FXT versus "my" FXT versus "his" FXT) vehicles, with specific/unique modifications to run "a bit weird."

The caution remains true in that a very small percentage of these "weird" runnings truly can endanger some portion of the powertrain.
good info!! thanks!!

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Simply upload them to somewhere like photobucket. Then when writing your post click the little icon above the box that looks like mountains and a sun, enter the address of the pic from photobucket and there it is!

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here goes nothing. i need to take more pictures and better pictures.. lol

well eh... small problem guys... i can't post any URLs until i have at least 15 posts....

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
let me know what you guys think... mean while i'm gonna try to get some more pictures with my new ipod.. maybe that'll work out a little better

1 - 20 of 25 Posts