Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at picking up a subaru wagon. Not sure what I like most, but Im aware a lot of them use the H4. Most likely its going to be between a 97-00. Ill admit im not a subaru guy, and am looking for a quick answer. As far as I know the H4 for this years as just n/a. Is there a huge difference between this year N/A model and a bit newer turbo models? Im asking because this will be my DD, but im addicted to boost and my wife wont let me get a newer turbo verson. So I figure over time Ill just have some fun with it and was curious if parts would swap over and etc. Thanks for the help, if my post made an sense at all.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Welcome.

The N/A engines are totally different and engine parts from turbo'ed Subarus won't really swap over -- it's be easiest to do an engine/ECU swap from a WRX. It should still be a blast to drive though, the earlier cars should be lighter.

Stan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, i was afraid of that. I was thinking maybe just the internals were different as in the rods/pistons, obviously the exhaust manifold, and a few small things here and there....but basically that they would swap pretty easily. Im a car enthusiast at heart, and want something cheaper as a DD than the audis im used to(owned a 04 audi s4, gt2871r 98 audi a4 1.8t, and currently an 03 audi rs6). I love awd and i know subarus can push some big power easily. Im just looking for something i can play with and go fast in while keeping my RS6 for the nicer days, and something a lot cheaper to maintain than the audis ive owned. Thanks for the response though. Its my first time on a forum not audi related, and really my first time wondering away from anything euro. Hopefully ill have a subaru within the month and ill find something I like!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
If you get the 04 FXT and not tell her its turbo maybe you can get a way with it like I did. You have to sell her the amenaties and newer car feel. There have been a couple of FXT while I was shopping around recently in the $12K range. It just the hard part is finding one in stick. Just set up a watch alert on Autotrader to alert you if one pops up in your area.

At least with the 04+ its a 2.5L and can swap over like you want, bolt-on with light tuning with the WRX STI. I'm also new to the Subaru world since most of my cars have been older Toyota's including the AE86 and the '88 Celica Alltrac Turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts