Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
For those of you who, like me, keep drooling over all the stuff our US members can get their hands on - this US Postal Service weblink may give you an idea of shipping costs:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10150

Look down the page to 'Economy Mail - Parcel Post Rates' to find the cost x weight information.

Delivery of my body coloured mudflaps from:
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=22_27&sort=1a&page=3
were charged at exactly the rate shown on the US Postal Service website. You can also track the package at least until it leaves the States. EDIT: Package can be tracked all the way through UK Customs & into your nearest ParcelForce Depot.

(Don't forget you may get hit with import duty & vat when it gets to UK - my mudflaps are in transit so I do not know how much I will be charged for duty & taxes yet) :cry:

Ian

stickied by Palatine

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Think I'll have to get the address of my rental Villa while I'm in Florida, get the stuff sent there!

Simon

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Just don't get stuff sent to Ira's brother if you want it in the same decade :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Forestier said:
(Don't forget you may get hit with import duty & vat when it gets to UK - my mudflaps are in transit so I do not know how much I will be charged for duty & taxes yet) :cry:
Ian,

How much did you get stung for by Her Majesties finest ?

Simon

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The import duty should be 17.5%VAT and 6%duty (cumulative, duty applied first - not that it makes any difference!), I checked, fortunatly my bits (sent to Holiday Villa - thanks Scoob Gen parts!) plus outher holiday souvenirs were under my allowance, just a shame there are no more SF 'splash guards' so it was just my rear Spoiler (half the US$ than the GP£ price!).

Simon

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
How long usually does it take for stuff to arrive via USPS?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends, in the first instance, on which USPS service you/your supplier elects to use. As usual,the more you pay the quicker it comes.

My last 2 deliveries were the spoiler which took 10/12 days & the short shifter which took about 5.

Make sure you get the tracking number from your supplier so you can use USPS online tracking. That way, you can see when it's out of UK customs & reached your local Parcelforce depot. You can then phone & collect without waiting another couple of days for Parcelfarce to contact you.

Be warned that USPS online tracking is not infallible - on 2 out of 10 shipments I received over the last 12 months, the system gave wrong information. In one case, it said that the package had been delivered to Canada 6 months before I had even placed the order! Package turned up a week later as advised by the supplier.

Parcleforce online tracking can also give information on the USPS number once the consignement is in the system but I guess they share the same base data.

If you are lucky or if the item is low value, UK Customs will not tag it for duty & it will get delivered straight to your home with nothing more to pay.

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
Be warned that USPS online tracking is not infallible - on 2 out of 10 shipments I received over the last 12 months, the system gave wrong information. In one case, it said that the package had been delivered to Canada 6 months before I had even placed the order! Package turned up a week later as advised by the supplier.

If you are lucky or if the item is low value, UK Customs will not tag it for duty & it will get delivered straight to your home with nothing more to pay.
Turned up today after just under three weeks. Paid £6 duty and £4 clearance fee.......bahh humbug.

Like you say the tracking is terrible on the USPS site. Said it was sent on 21st November....and that was it...only one month out!

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Hey guys, I saw this thread and thought I would chime in since I am in the states. With my experience in sending a few shift knobs to you guys I will tell you that my local USPS office told me that tracking was useless when shipping to the UK. Basically they told me it was not applicable so I never use it when shipping shift knobs over. I completely rely on the buyer to let me know when they have received it and hope that they are honest enough to do so. I don't know if it is different for other items or vendors but this is how it has been for me. This could be a good reason for the lack of accurate information when checking pacakage status.

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
I'm based in Raleigh North Carolina, East coast.

Been here just over a year. Moved here from Windsor England. Moving back this year, but that's another story.

In the mean time if I can help any of you chaps out getting parts sent back home I could act as a forwarder.

All i'd ask is that you pay the postage cost from the US to the UK into my Lloyds account. Oh & nothing to big or fragile like a wind screen or a bonnet, keep it real.

Laters

1 - 16 of 16 Posts