Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have anything from an STi axle back to a full turbo back setup I wanna see it! I also want your feedback and comments on your setup. Please use this format below to keep things organized.

Cost:
Setup: headers(EL or UEL), uppipe, TBE, CBE, or AB
Brand:
WRX or Forester specific:
Hangers:
Comments:

(image and or sound clip here)

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Cost:$400
Setup: TBE
Brand: Cobb catted DP, XT midpipe, STi AB
WRX or Forester specific: STi fitment
Hangers: stock hangers
Comments: My STi AB had a 1" section added and the hanger arms were relocated to use the stock hangers. This was done because XL hangers caused the left side arm to hit my trailer hitch. The reason for the XT midpipe and STI AB was because I wanted a QUIET family hauler. Every aftermarket setup I tried was too loud.

·
Registered
2006 FAXT 5mt
525 Posts
after buying my 06 XT i meet a old polish STI mechnic that squirrled away a bunch of parts and one of the things i got off him was a perrin 3'' inch turbo back exhaust set up i got it for $600. i later found out a brand new set up would have been bout 2200.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Cost: $400 (used)
Setup: CBE
Brand: MadDad Whisper full 3"
WRX or Forester specific: WRX-specific
Hangers: NAPA long hangers, P/N 35719
Comments: Obnoxiously loud for me (personal opinion, not bashing). Very deep and bassy, sometimes nice but annoying most of the time -- louder than another member's COBB. Using it with Invidia v4 catted downpipe.

Cost: $235? (used)
Setup: AB
Brand: Prodrive oval-tip 2.5"
Hangers: KartBoy XL hangers
Comments: Deep, mellow sound, nice rumble. Ran for 1 1/2 years, got tired of the noise -- it was pretty loud. Ran with stock exhaust at first, then with Cobb catted downpipe. Video below is with the stock exhaust.

YouTube - Stan's '07 Forester XT -- 3 of 3

Cost: $70
Setup: CBE
Brand: OEM STi 2.5"
Hangers: KartBoy XL hangers
Comments: Nice and quiet, power difference isn't noticeable much with the VF43. Ran with Cobb catted downpipe, will be switching back to the axleback and using 3" to 2.5" midpipe of some sort.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Cost: More than you can afford pal...ferrari(not quite sure since the DP was part of the rotated kit and i didn't put the mid and axle back on)
Setup: IAG rotated 3in dp, WBR midpipe and axle back
Brand: see above
WRX or Forester specific: FXT
Hangers: not quite sure
Comments: dp is great. wbr is crap. Already had to reweld the rear hangar since it rusted out not to mention it drones like no other. But at the time it was put on it was one of the only 3in options and it looks good(no fart cannon)

ill post a sound clip when i get my car back

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Cost: $700(used)
Setup: Helix catted downpipe, WBR 3" catback
WRX or Forester specific: Forester
Hangers: standard length Kartboy
Comments: This setup was a lot louder than I thought it was going to be when I first installed it but now that I have it paired with a GT Spec EL header and uppipe, it's much smoother and sound great.

·
luvin' it
2008 Forester Sports XT 5-speed manual
815 Posts
Cost: $925
Setup: TBE, stock headers, stock up-pipe, JDM downpipe, no mid-pipe
Brand: Fujitsubo RM01A (JDM)
WRX or Forester specific: WRX
Hangers: Napa XL hangers P/N 35719
Comments:

I'll edit in pics and a video when I get home.

This JDM Fujitsubo RM01A was purchased a few months before Fujitsubo decided to make USDM fitment versions of their products, so I had to source a JDM downpipe also. :icon_mad: It came off my '04 WRX Wagon I traded in for the '08 Forester Sports XT. I loved the sound and look on the WRX and was dying to put it on my Forester. It took awhile to find out if and what I needed to fit the exhaust on the Forester due to length issues. About two months ago, I found out about the Napa XL hangers which are longer than the KB XL hangers by an inch. :Banane08: Got the exhaust installed ASAP after that, and have been loving it since. :)

Maybe because the exhaust is shorter than the Forester, there is an appreciable amount of noise in the cabin. But I don't mind it too much with the stereo on, and the girlfriend hasn't complained about it. On the outside, the exhaust sounds spectacular. :)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
Custom installation for under $300. You can see the installation here. :smile:

Bobby...

Magnaflow muffler (11255) axle back, aftermarket resonator & Wicked (brand) 3" stainless steel tip.
(47 second sound clip)

^^ I don't know why this is here... must be a Photobucket thing. :confused:

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Cost: $1200 (New+Shipping) $900 (Used)
Setup: TBE
Brand: HKS (Catted-DP), Fujitsubo Legalis-R (CBE)
WRX or Forester specific: JDM SF5 Forester Specific
Hangers: OEM
Comments: Fits like a glove with the JDM Catted DP and JDM SF5 cat-back. Nice and quiet in everyday driving, doesn't get really loud until you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Custom installation for under $300. You can see the installation here. :smile:

Bobby...

Magnaflow muffler (11255) axle back, aftermarket resonator & Wicked (brand) 3" stainless steel tip.
(47 second sound clip)
That sounds good. Have you thought about doing the 3inch version of the same muffler. Would that be good? I got a quote the way you did it and with the three inch version for under $200.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice setups guys keep them coming in!

Anyone have any melon shooters?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
That sounds good. Have you thought about doing the 3inch version of the same muffler. Would that be good? I got a quote the way you did it and with the three inch version for under $200.

Thanks
I'm running the stock pipe back (towards the engine) from the muffler, so no real need to go larger for the muffler. Matter of fact, the plan down the road a bit is to do another COBB Surgeline dyno Protuned Stage 2 with the same exhaust, just changing the turbo & downpipe. :wink:

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with going with larger 3" muffler (axle back), if you have plans on going larger on the rest of the pipes later on. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with going with larger 3" muffler (axle back), if you have plans on going larger on the rest of the pipes later on. :smile:

Bobby...

That's what I was thinking as well. Do a 3 inch catback with an adapter now, and then take out the adapter later when the 3 inch dp and highflow cat come. It will end up being a $600 TBE paid in two smaller increments.

Jaime

Sorry for hijacking the post.

·
Registered
2004 2.5xt
122 Posts
Cost: ~$700
Setup: TBE + up-pipe (this is considered exhaust too, right?)
Brand: Prodrive
WRX or Forester specific: Forester
Hangers: Regular Kartboy
Comments:Awesomeness

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Cost - about $1200 new
Setup - TBE (catted bellmouth DP + 3-inch Whisper CB)
Brand - MadDad
Forester-specific
Uses stock size hangers
Comments - fits perfectly, great quality, awesome sound (not too loud), deep boxer rumble with no raspiness, stock-looking muffler and tip (no fart can/mellon shooter).

Complete review here.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
What's causing the drone? The midpipe or axleback? Does your midpipe have a resonator?

Cost: More than you can afford pal...ferrari(not quite sure since the DP was part of the rotated kit and i didn't put the mid and axle back on)
Setup: IAG rotated 3in dp, WBR midpipe and axle back
Brand: see above
WRX or Forester specific: FXT
Hangers: not quite sure
Comments: dp is great. wbr is crap. Already had to reweld the rear hangar since it rusted out not to mention it drones like no other. But at the time it was put on it was one of the only 3in options and it looks good(no fart cannon)

ill post a sound clip when i get my car back

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Cost: ~$50
Setup: Tanabe Turbo back, Ebay solid uppipe
Brand: Tanabe medalion concept g Blue
WRX or Forester specific: WRX
Hangers: Forester stock hangers took an oxy-acetylene torch
to the hangers on the muffler and bent them into an s- shape
Comments: Guy i know at work traded his STI and took off the exhaust