Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 wrx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came across this forestor today

148k Miles, can get it for $2400 out the door.

The subaru dealer said it had a service contract , had oil changes, and a wheel bearing done to it. they couldn't find off hand if it had a timing belt change done to it. I may call them tomorrow to see if they can seriously dig thru some records to find out if it had been done.

It has heated leather seats and appeared that everything inside worked just fine. I drove it for a few miles and got it up to 60mph and everything seemed pretty kosher.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? should i have em put it up on a lift to look at it under neath?

The only thing that needs replacing is the front bumper cover as one side is cracked up and a fog light. Probably could use some brake pads in the front too.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Bumper cover is no big deal for that price, and it honestly takes about 2 minutes to disassemble the brakes for servicing, so that's not something to worry about either.

One thing I would have them check on intensely is the timing belt. It's not hard to replace at all, just time consuming and an attention to detail (counting teeth between pulleys and whatnot). I would just look around in very common areas to check for any fluid leaking, wetness under the engine from oil/trans/diff leaks, MAKE SURE to do very slow figure of eights with the steering in full lock to check for any hard binding or juttering around as that could be problems with the center diff/center clutch packs.

But that sounds like a fair price for the car, have any pics?

·
Registered
06 wrx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I have done timing belts on a few wrx's. I called dealer back to see if they could find out more and they said they would contact the 1-owner that had it

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,619 Posts
What year?? Timing belt on the Subies are probably harder than most. Generally the engine is pulled (I believe) and seals, idler, water pump and a couple other things are replaced.

·
Registered
06 wrx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so mixed up about the car, didnt get the maint reports back yet, however i swung out to look at it again and both valve covers have leaks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts