Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a used v2 accessport for sale for $400. It is from a 08-09 WRX. The part number on this unit is the AP-SUB-003, and that is also what the part number for the Forester is. I'm sure the maps are tuned different. Is there a way I can wipe the WRX tune maps and install the Forester maps for my 2007 XT?
Any experience doing this, recommended, impossible, or steer clear of the hassle?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Yes, I believe you should be able to load the latest firmware and have the AP recognize your car correctly. No need to wipe it, it'll detect it properly and make the correct maps available. I'd double-check with COBB just to be sure though.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I'll second stan's comment. My understanding w/ the V2's was that yes, they were compatible w/ all DBW suby's.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed Cobb with the question. They responded saying they are overwhelmed and will be back to me asap. I don't know about the rest of you, but the "holidays" are frustrating to me. Seems the world nearly shuts down from Thanksgiving to the middle of January. Businesses are so swamped in January after being so lax the prior month, that they kill half of January catching up?!!???
No more ranting...

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Very simple, go on COBB's web site and see what part number they give for an '07 XT AP. I think you need a SUB-002. But I can't remember when they switched to CANBUS on the Foresters. Basically if the part number for the AP is the same as the one the guy is selling, it will work.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
He needs AP-SUB-003 for Canbus car, that's what I'm running.

FWIW, I was the first one on this board to get an AP for a canbus FXT. I picked it up from a local shop the next day after the firmware came out. They gave me a generic AP-SUB-003 AP, flashed new firmware on it and I was on my way. There was nothing Forester-specific about the device itself, it could have been used for an '08 STi/WRX or '07 Legacy.

I am 99.9% sure you should be good with the used one you are looking at.

Stan

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
^^There you go. It will work. You can worry about the maps once you get it and download any that you need. It has to be unmarried from his car though. Make sure it is, otherwise it's useless to you.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
He needs AP-SUB-003 for Canbus car, that's what I'm running.

FWIW, I was the first one on this board to get an AP for a canbus FXT. I picked it up from a local shop the next day after the firmware came out. They gave me a generic AP-SUB-003 AP, flashed new firmware on it and I was on my way. There was nothing Forester-specific about the device itself, it could have been used for an '08 STi/WRX or '07 Legacy.

I am 99.9% sure you should be good with the used one you are looking at.

Stan
I thought Scans007 was the first? :lol: meh, irrelevant...

But yeah, the AP-SUB-003 is the one you'll need. It's what I've got...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear that it's just a map swap, that's good. I'll pick that up then, its a good price. Onward with the modding!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ditto there. I feel I stole it for $400! Can re-sell and recover any losses and then some should it frustrate me at this cost.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, the jury is in. The accessport came yesterday. It was fully plug and play, no messing around. It automatically detects the vehicle, and will only let you access the proper maps. I did do a firmware update after the fact, because they did change some things in December, but minor I'm sure. So as long as you get the right part number (APSUB002, APSUB003, etc) then you are in business regardless of which vehicle it came from in the past.
I can only get 87.5 octane in town and bone stock, just figured I'd flash the stage 3+ map. Makes crazy noises guys!!! That must be the power!
Haha... you know I'm kidding! Had you wondering though!...

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Congratulations, glad it worked. Now all you need is a downpipe. Then, turbo, TMIC, headers, splitter, larger scoop lol.. you've done it, slope only gets steeper.

I've been told to not use the AP for monitoring live stuff too often (having it permanently mounted) because the screen burns out over time. Also, the dongle that plugs into the port under the steering wheel can go bad and your AP won't talk to the ECU -- mine did that, the tuner I bought the AP from replaced the dongle for free.

Have fun.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed with all of that. While the AP does a fair job seeing peak and low info, it's a little tough to see boost, etc as it all happens so fast on a digital. I did make 1 hard run and got wastegate code. I guess I'm not too concerned about it. Cleared it and went on my merry way. PO422 I think. Toys....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts