Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just want some advice on a Subaru Forester I found on Kijiji for sale. It's a 1998 2.5l Forester L, 5spd. It has 250,000km on it and has been sitting in the guys yard for a few months. He is asking $1000.00 for it and claims that all it needs for certification is a windshield.

To me, this rings out a little cheap for a forester, but I couldn't refuse, so I went and saw it. It actually looks ok, it has the body of a 1998 vehicle... and it shows, there is some rust around the door handles and on the fenders, but it looks to be primarily surface rust (no holes). The floor is solid, and the tires are new. The engine starts up fine and idles well, and doesn't hesitate. Doesn't knock or anything, but sounds a little loud at higher RPMs. There are some rattles and such inside, but over all I was pretty impressed. There were no leaks under it (before and after a quick test drive), the oil doesn't smell burnt, CV boots are all ok.

My question is: does this sound like a good deal? Are there any major problems I should watch out for in this particular model? I have heard some people say these 2.5l often require engine work, yet at the same time people say they have over 400,000km on theirs... I have always wanted a forester, so i would really like to buy this one, and I don't mind doing some work to it. I just don't want to end up with something that will prove unreliable.
Any information the forum would have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
13 Posts
things to look for

Ask the seller the last time timing belt was changed, if and when head gaskets ever replaced, how many wheel bearings have been replaced. This has been my experience with my '01 S with regards to the more expensive repairs/maintenance.

good luck!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Sounds pretty good, it sounds like you have checked the basics. Talk to the seller about maintenance and see if he has the answers you are looking for..
what province are you in? I've watched BC and anything under $4000 is dodgy at best.. but who knows, sometimes sellers are motivated by other factors.. good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts