Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not sure if this has been covered yet, if it has I searched and found nothing.

I have an 08 XT Sports with the 6 CD changer head unit. I really do not want to change out the factory unit but I do want real ipod integration. I have seen that on some of the models subaru has come out with integration kits. Also on other head units made by kenwood you can use the standard kenwood CD changer pinout to get an pseudo AUX in.

I decided to figure what is in my car and what I have to do to make it work! My first step was to take apart my car and pull out the HU. To my surprise it is made by Clarion.

Here it is:

^Edited to show what the buttons are labeled

Here is the model info:

So now I was looking at the back of the unit for what connectors are available for things like Satellite Radio, CD Changer and what ever the CAT button might do on my radio.

Here are the plugs on the back:

Ok, now starting from Left to Right it goes (I think):
1. Antenna (plugged in from factory)
2. Main harness for power and speakers (plugged in from factory)
3. AUX input connection? (plugged in from factory)
4. Could this be the plug I need to use? (nothing plugged in from factory)

Here is a better pic of Plug #4:

I searched on the internet for Ipod integration kits for a Clarion HU and found this: Clarion CCAIPOD CeNet Audio iPod Interface

Take a look at these pictures that I found, it sure looks like the plugs are the same! :woohoo:

Has anyone tried this yet? For $47 could I really go wrong?

Let me know your thoughts and comments. I will most likely order one tonight just to see if it works!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I think you'll be the first to try it. That connector is the right one, its usually used for the OEM sat radio. However, that ipod kit might actually work. I just don't know if you'll actually be able to select the ipod input from the front plate (unless the SAT button will do that). That headunit is a common clarion model, they just put a specialized faceplate on these for subaru.

If you try it please let us know how it goes, I'd definitely pick one of these up if it let me skip back and forward on the ipod from the headunit.

There are a few units on amazon for clarion with the same sort of plug. Not sure if you would need one of the boxes or just the cable or if any of it will actually work at all. Would be pretty cool if it did work though!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the cable so we will see how it goes. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this one! I will post up info as soon as I figure something out.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
...I think this might actually work.

I was hoping there was a local shop that did clarion stuff and might have one of these instock to let me test fit, but theres only 1 clarion dealer within 50 miles, and their only website is a myspace that is unreadable.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT SH Manual
97 Posts
My unit looks sort of similar, slight difference just under the digital readout. How would you select iPod on the head unit? Does your's have a Satellite radio button?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My unit looks sort of similar, slight difference just under the digital readout. How would you select iPod on the head unit? Does your's have a Satellite radio button?
Mine has a SAT button. From looking around on the internet I have found some information on the Clarion accessory plug. (This is how it works on an aftermarket Clarion HU)

The plug is for the CeNET system. This system allows multiple components to be run through a single input. You can purchase "Y" cables and some of the accessory adapters actually have a CeNET "pass through" to be able to chain things together. The Clarion HUs usually have only one AUX button to select the accessory inputs, pressing it cycles through whatever inputs you have on the CeNET bus. I am assuming this button will compare to the SAT button on my factory HU.

There is also the CAT button on my HU. Going by other factory subarus with iPod integration, the CAT button will allow you to load songs by things like selecting playlists, sorting by artist and other "CATegories" I think.

If any of you have experience with factory iPod integration in newer models (09+) please let me know if I am on the right track and maybe give us an idea of how the interface works as it might be similar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, then our units are vastly different! I do not have sat button or anything that could remotely be used as an "accessory" or "source" button. I have FM, AM and CD buttons, that's it! I've enclosed a picture of my HU, can anyone advise on how to operate an iPod on this unit?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing you need to check with yours is who actually makes the HU. A lot of the subaru factory units are made by Kenwood. If yours is made by Kenwood then there is a lot of info out there about making a pseudo AUX input using a blank CD. If you get a chance, pull out your HU and take a pic of the back of it so we can look at what plugs you have available.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing you need to check with yours is who actually makes the HU. A lot of the subaru factory units are made by Kenwood. If yours is made by Kenwood then there is a lot of info out there about making a pseudo AUX input using a blank CD. If you get a chance, pull out your HU and take a pic of the back of it so we can look at what plugs you have available.
The owners manual mentions Kenwood. Can you post a link to the item on making an interface?

Thanks!:icon_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the iPod kit in over the weekend!

Here are some pics:

This is definitely the correct plug!

I am going to try to get this thing installed and tested over lunch today. I will post as soon as I know if it works or not!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Awesome! I wonder if theres anything you'll have to do in the headunit to get it to work. Would be -amazing- if this just worked out of the box. Hoping this works for you so I can do the same!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I got mixed results.

It plugged in just fine. I plugged in a 3rd Gen Nano and "Clarion" came up on the screen and it locked the buttons and started charging. So far so good.

Now the bad news. It will not select the iPod as an input though. I was assuming I would be able to push the SAT button and it would select the iPod as I am using the same plug the sat radio kit uses. This did not happen.

I have not lost all hope though. I looked back at the specs and it does NOT list the 3rd gen nano as being compatible (it doesn't say it isn't either). I will try another iPod and see if I can make anything work.

Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Ok, so I got mixed results.

It plugged in just fine. I plugged in a 3rd Gen Nano and "Clarion" came up on the screen and it locked the buttons and started charging. So far so good.

Now the bad news. It will not select the iPod as an input though. I was assuming I would be able to push the SAT button and it would select the iPod as I am using the same plug the sat radio kit uses. This did not happen.

I have not lost all hope though. I looked back at the specs and it does NOT list the 3rd gen nano as being compatible (it doesn't say it isn't either). I will try another iPod and see if I can make anything work.

Stay Tuned!
IT might work using the CD/AUX setting or something. The problem with this is that the main portion of this headunit is a pretty standard clarion 2 din unit that they sell normally, but it has a different faceplate for the standard market than it does when sold to subaru. It might have the function and just no way to select it, which would definitely suck. I'll see if i can find the papers that I had for the headunit from when I was fixing the internals of mine.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IT might work using the CD/AUX setting or something. The problem with this is that the main portion of this headunit is a pretty standard clarion 2 din unit that they sell normally, but it has a different faceplate for the standard market than it does when sold to subaru. It might have the function and just no way to select it, which would definitely suck. I'll see if i can find the papers that I had for the headunit from when I was fixing the internals of mine.
Do you have a model number of the headunit that has the same internals?

Here is a compatibility list for this iPod interface:
Crutchfield Listing

I am having trouble finding a friend with an iPod that might work. Everybody I know has a Touch or iPhone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts