Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Forester with manual transmission. I have notice a couple of times now that when I am starting up a steep grade that the RPM's go higher if I press down on the gas but then come back down. One time was when I first shifted into 5th gear as I was going up the hill and then yesterday I noticed it again when I was starting to pass someone as we were going up hill.

I live in western NC so it is quite hilly. The car has 50K on it. Not sure if this is a sign that the clutch is starting to slip already or if it is something else? I have been driving sticks off and on for the past 35 yrs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Premium M6
348 Posts
I have a 2015 Forester with manual transmission. I have notice a couple of times now that when I am starting up a steep grade that the RPM's go higher if I press down on the gas but then come back down. One time was when I first shifted into 5th gear as I was going up the hill and then yesterday I noticed it again when I was starting to pass someone as we were going up hill.

I live in western NC so it is quite hilly. The car has 50K on it. Not sure if this is a sign that the clutch is starting to slip already or if it is something else? I have been driving sticks off and on for the past 35 yrs.

Thanks
It's possible but not sure how likely it is. I have 140k on my 2014 and it's the original clutch though i do get a decent amount of throwout bearing squeal upon startup when it it is cold out.

I have a very steep driveway and I've smelled clutch if back up it and I stop in the middle and have to start again. And I've driven manuals in trucks/cars/bikes exclusively since 1978 :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone suggested to me that it was probably a bad pressure plate. Any thoughts on that? What would be the indicators of a bad pressure plate vs a friction(disc) plate? Without tearing into it?

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
32 Posts
If it is slipping, and it sounds like it is, it is because the clamp force is insufficient to transmit the torque with the available coefficient of friction. Pressure plate springs could have relaxed or the disk is too thin can contribute to low clamp force. A glazed disk surface, a glazed pressure plate surface or fly wheel can all contribute to a low coefficient of friction. The release mechanism could prevent the clutch from fully engaging. Unfortunately a tear down is required far all but the last one if it is an obvious failure from the outside. It really does not matter which is failing because the sensible thing to do is replace both at the same time. If it slips too long the flywheel surface could be damaged requiring a replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts