Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend with a '03 2.0XT (similar to the 2.5XT) with the 4EAT has found a good and cheap 5EAT autobox from a Legacy '06 with the turbo engine (LGT?) complete with the TCU, shifter and is thinking about a possible swap.

Does anyone know if it fits? Any clues against the idea?

1. Does it physically fit to the Forester chassis? I think it is longer.

2. Does the LGT 5EAT has the VTD or the MPT? Any idea on final drive ratio?

3. The gear lever will definitely need a good amount of tweaking to fit the Forester but I think it is possible.

4. TCU connection differences? Any ideas on killer diferences? I think the LGT has CANbus interconnection between the ECU and TCU while the XT has not.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If its from a canbus car it most likely won't work, but I don't think they went to canbus until 07?

It might work, but no one has ever tried it as far as anyone has seen so far. The best bet would be to get the TCU and see if it will even physically plug in where the stock one was or at least compare the connectors.

It would be -VERY- cool if someone got a 5eat to work in a forester!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idea abandoned.

Looking into Legacy service manuals it seems that the 2004 model (and I suppose all big models after '04) are heavily based on CANbus interconnection. This makes the adaption of a '04 5EAT TCU a complex matter that would require many manhours on the oscilloscope to study protocols and possibly many improvisations with microcontrollers to adapt the TCU to the ECU.

Also the differential ratios are off for the 5EAT at about 3.7 instead of 4.1/4.4 for the Forester. So the extra costs of a rear diff should be added and then what about the LSD?

As the 5EAT was introduced on 2003 models maybe a non CANbus TCU & 5EAT from that year could easier be modified to be connected to the Forester engine....

What struck me as a surprise is that even 4EAT Legacy transmissions from '03/'04 have slight differences from Forester 4EATs that would make compatibility questionable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bigger issue with this idea isn't just the wiring. The physical dimensions of the 5eat are longer. So the cross member doesn't line up. Also the tailshaft has to be shortened to suit your conversion. How do I know? I just installed one in my 2005 sg5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts