Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a while now I've been wondering why Subaru decided to move the nav/radio from below the vents (previous Forester models) to above the vents. I sort of though that was not such a good idea when it's cold outside and you have the heater on full blast. The heat from the vents wouldn't benefit the radio, the cords, or the nav system for that matter. Or am I wrong? Anyways, does anyone have a clue why Subaru switched it? Just curious.:huh:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
Technically, the previous model years did not have navi unless you count the non-US models. When they were equipped with navi, it was above the vents where the flip-top compartment is. The navi should always be at or around eye level to avoid the driver having to look down at the navi while driving.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Ergonomics.

It's impossible, or rather irresponsible, to have everything at eye-level (because then you'd be blocking the field of view).

The ideal position of notables in the cabin are on the same plane. That is, the gauge cluster is in-plane with radio/nav. In many cars (like most high end vehicles, and even my Outback) these are all in-plane with the rear view mirrors. You can get a full scan of your surroundings and your information system in one sweep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts