Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a cheapo STi exhaust manifold on NASIOC and I'm looking to self port/polish before I install it. Is there a step by step on Scoobymods or is it super difficult to do? A semi local PnP shop wants 160 plus a $100 refundable core charge so it would mean no down time, just straight swap for an already ported manifold. http://www.gotpnp.com/

what kind of dremel heads/bits are needed? etc.

After many hours of research on aftermarket manifolds I decided that a ported STi manifold should yeil as good, if not better power than an aftermarket header.

thanks!

Doug.

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Keep me posted on this request too.
I have one on the way!!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
grrrr...i can't find anyone local selling stock headers. I regret putting on my stainless steel gruppe-s headers...p&p&c all the way

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ant927 said:
grrrr...i can't find anyone local selling stock headers. I regret putting on my stainless steel gruppe-s headers...p&p&c all the way
that link I posted has quite a few PnP'd cores in stock...It might be easy for you to just order those and when you get them, remove your stockers and install the new ones then send your stockers for the $100 refundable core charge. shipping shouldnt be too much if you seperate the header banks from the crossover pipe so they fit in a smaller box.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ant927 said:
that link I posted has quite a few PnP'd cores in stock...It might be easy for you to just order those and when you get them, remove your stockers and install the new ones then send your stockers for the $100 refundable core charge. shipping shouldnt be too much if you seperate the header banks from the crossover pipe so they fit in a smaller box.

I met the owner at a local subaru meet/car show and they do some sweet setups. PnP'd throttle bodies, PnP'd turbos, TGV deletes, and manifolds. all their work was quality and they never ported too much, they always left 1mm smaller than the gasket diameter so there's absolutely no risk of leaks. Some places port so its matched to the exact DIA of the gasket but that can cause leaks over time.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
the local p&p people(crucialracing.com) here won't take FXT stock headers as cores because our headers(and 06up wrx) have the smaller diameter openings. they only want 02-05 wrx and any sti =( they said it just woudn't be worth it, especially when stock wrx/sti headers can be found for so cheap(if i can just find a set)

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nobody attempted this? it seems pretty simple after seeing the finished product but what tools are required?

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
Save yourself a big headache and a few days of your time. Don't do this without an air compressor and a die grinder. Preferably a compressor with a 20 or more gallon airtank. Got friends with tools?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I thought this kind of stuff was negated when you added it to a forced-induction motor? I know there are definitely going to be some benefits but just how much?

If anything, I would think that port matching would be the best bet.

But hey, what do I know? (not that much, really)

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
I did mine with my Dremel with a flex shaft and (2) aluminum oxide grinding stones #952. I was able to reach 95% of the interior surfaces for porting and removed the nubs in particular. I also utilized Crucial Racing's copper gasket set on the manifolds and uppipe with zero leaks as of yet. Unforunately, the DP copper gasket didnt cooperate and I reused my stocker.

Hope this helps

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GatorXT said:
I did mine with my Dremel with a flex shaft and (2) aluminum oxide grinding stones #952. I was able to reach 95% of the interior surfaces for porting and removed the nubs in particular. I also utilized Crucial Racing's copper gasket set on the manifolds and uppipe with zero leaks as of yet. Unforunately, the DP copper gasket didnt cooperate and I reused my stocker.

Hope this helps
thanks gator! what did you use to polish the surface? or did you just port?

this smiley rocks>:poke:

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
dvang said:
i thought ride5000 on nasioc had a writeup possibily

i could be wrong but try pm him on there
You mean the guy that unbolted his exhaust and put some washers in and thought it sounded cool?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts