Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
>>> PortalTek - Portal Axles

i've been consulting with a relative (consulting as in i can't get a hold of this person cause he's alway out of town :chair:) who has more experience in suspension engineering about utilizing the portal-tek universal hubs for mid to long travel independent suspension for a personal project build (think bowler with hyped up ground clearance :biggrin:)

these things are beefy. mate these with a spaceframe chassis, a high torque big block (would go with a cummins but it's too heavy) and an atlas transfer case and you've got yourself a tank. well, that's the plan anyway... for now :banana:

here's a build in pirate4x4 that used volvo solid axle portals: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398873

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Someone alert socal that this is the proper way to lift their trucks! lol so many lifted trucks with their axles still at stock height.. much like crouch walking with your testicles hanging out. ja?

excuse my rough analogy. :D

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Portal hubs are great if you have solid axles. I can't imagine they would work well on independent suspension like on a forester (they have IFS ones for hummers and such, but those have MUCH stronger suspension setups and use dual A arms rather than macpherson). You would basically have to build a whole new knuckle setup, and create stronger suspension links, this will be like running 0 offset wheels. If we had bolt on wheel bearings it would be somewhat possible, but I can't imagine an easy way to do it on a forester. If someone does it though I'll be amazed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts