Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I have wanted to do this for a while now and I finally completed the project so here is the modification. First let me explain my thoughts and why I decided to do this, this way.

When I was looking to purchase the MY09XT I wanted it loaded, well mostly. All of my previous vehicles have been very well equipped/loaded with all the creature comforts that I have now become accustomed to. I decided to get the XT Limited to get most of the features I wanted. One item I wanted was the NAV system. Well the Dealer had the Model and Color I wanted but it was without the NAV set-up. I was informed at the time that because of the limited availability of the XT that it would have to be ordered for that feature...none were available in FLA. The dealer was giving me a great deal on the vehicle on the lot and the SOA financing option was really good at the time coupled with the "make your best deal" and apply a $400 off coupon (given by SOA for stopping at the booth at an Auto Show), I decided to take the vehicle there. I thought I would buy either the OEM NAV unit or After market and put either in. After seeing several threads here about the NAV system offered by Subaru and members experience with it, I said NO to the OEM. An aftermarket would be nice but I didn't want to spend $$$ on an item for a leased vehicle as I don't know if I will keep the FOZ and knowing me I might leave it in if I gave the vehicle back. Plus, I have in the past wanted to be able to take the NAV with me when I travel, so I decided to get a portable unit. I wanted the unit to look like it was meant to be there with no signs of it being there when it was removed. That I wanted for security sake (no one trying to steal it). I also liked the way that the Subaru electrical system in the FOZ shuts everything down when the vehicle is turned off and all power comes back when the key is inserted and turned. I am not an electrical guy and I did not want to do any splicing of wires so I purchased a OEM Power outlet, to be relocated, as I wanted to leave the one in the vehicle right where it was. On to the install/Mod.

Items I purchased for this:
1. Magellan 1475T (this is the unit I decided upon after long research and the features I wanted)
2. Garmin dash mount (010-10747-02) (I needed a mount that would allow me to hang the unit from a level area, not tilted like the windshield)
3. Radio shack Supermount Tape (Very secure mounting tape)
4. Subaru OEM Power Outlet #86711KG000LL

Parts:

2 Part Garmin dash mount....with a bit of filing and sanding to allow the GPS to be at the proper viewing angle

Supermount Tape

Subaru OEM Power Outlet

Electrical tape to prevent accidental metal to metal contact when relocated

On to the JOB. First let me say that this is the dumbest set-up/design that I have ever seen to get to a Cigarette Lighter (CL)/Power Outlet (PO). You will literally need to remove the entire center console from the dash top down. This is the only way to get to it. Trust me I have tried several times and hours. Even if you want to splice into the wire for it you will need to do this. I posted the PDF here for the Center console removal........http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f106/how-remove-change-front-power-outlet-sh-model-71702/. Thanks goes to Will in service at Mastro Subaru for helping me with this.

Center Console removed....this is a job and it is IMO a design flaw that I had to go to these lengths to get to what I needed to get to.

and there's the little bugger.....plug disconnected

PO relocated with GPS power cord installed

Everything goes back together.

Onto the finished project.

Looking in from the drivers door. This is what a thief would see if the unit is removed.

Passenger Door

Looking dead on with the mount (part 2) removed. Shot low from the back seat

Mount (part 2) attached. It just clips into part 1, very easily and it rotates left and right so that I can position the GPS to different angles besides rotating it on the ball mount. This is a nice feature.

...........And the finished project. The unit is Piano black/Silver with no scratches, those must be smudges from positioning

Night Time....its a point and shoot sorry.

Day Time...

Sorry for the crummy pics and the size, I just have a point and shoot and I am not a Photographer although I did take several Photo classes many moons ago. Most pics are with flash that has IMO dulled the screen shots of the GPS. Magellan is known for their screen quality/clarity. Hope you liked it......it does look much better in person and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers perspective....this is what I see when I look down, although I barely do because of all the audible tones and spoken street names.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
looks good for a portable installation. you may want to checkout Add a Fuse next time, you would have been able to forgo demoing the dash. I think garmin makes a hardwire kit for it. good job though.

Can you run a headphone jack cable from the garmin to the AUX input in the armrest and play everything through the stereo?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
You are a brave man. I could not attempt such dash disassembly.

Very nice look. I think I will get the vent kit for my Garmin 1490. I think it being a bit higher and I also use my as a bluetooth device for my phone.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good for a portable installation. you may want to checkout Add a Fuse next time, you would have been able to forgo demoing the dash. I think garmin makes a hardwire kit for it. good job though.

Can you run a headphone jack cable from the garmin to the AUX input in the armrest and play everything through the stereo?
The reason I did it the way that I did was that the unit powers on and off with the vehicle.....I don't need to turn it on or off. Just shut the FOZ and walk away. Start it and BAM there it is.
I will check into the headphone jack and see if its there. If so I'll work that in too. That will be easier than this install even though I will run the cable under the arm rest console.

You are a brave man. I could not attempt such dash disassembly.

Very nice look. I think I will get the vent kit for my Garmin 1490. I think it being a bit higher and I also use my as a bluetooth device for my phone.
I have been wanting to do this for an while and would not let myself fail on the install. The Mrs. thinks I'm cazy. When I was done I asked what she thought......."nice". She said "why don't you just build your next car". Been there done that. It's kinda crazy how the engineers designed the PO. I hope no one ever breaks their's. Service first said 1/2 hr labor.....I said you better check that. He then said an hour. It's more like 1.5 minimum.......to replace a PO......:crazy:.
I Wanted and first purchased the Magellan 4700 with bluetooth but it would not work properly with my new Samsung phone. I have the Sony bluetooth speaker phone in the FOZ. If its not in my journal I'll put it there. Works great.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
That's really nice. I used to have my Camry pre-wired like that but noticed that it took my eyes off of the road to much. Now I have it mounted on the top of my windshield by the rear view mirror, and the power comes from the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Nice work on the dash re-assembly...looked like major surgery.. I didn't see it in the pics, but did you use an external antenna ? or just counting on the one inside the nav unit itself?

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Very well done. :rock: This is something I thought about doing, but couldn't get myself to tear apart the whole center console. My other concern is that it would take my eyes off the road too much - do you find yourself with this problem?

Anyways, looks good.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS Luxury
60 Posts
Impressed dash disassemble. Good job! I have put my iPhone TomTom carkit in that place. Drilled holes to put the Aux and Power cables under the console into the AUX input in the armrest, so everything plays through the stereo. The quality of the music is very good. And when i listen to music and also navigate with my iPhone, the music fade in and out before and after the spoken instructions through this Aux input, this is really a nice option.

Theo

PS.
Pictures of the end product are in my journal.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the kinda words. It was a job, but remarkably it was not that tough and after doing it once I can do it again no problem....without instructions, :biggrin:. If you follow the PDF of it that I posted (moved by an Admin or Mod...Thanks) in the DIY forum you can do this. That is the PDF you will need to do most of anything with the dash....instrument cluster, HVAC, HU, Ipod kit, Sat kit, power outlet (boooooooo). I still think it is a very poor design that you have to undertake this to get to the power outlet.....I'll do it again....:crazy:.
I had a buddy in the vehicle the other day and he asked if Subaru offered that as an option. I told him NO, I did it. He was amazed and said it looks as if it was supposed to be there, like Subaru offered/designed it that way.
Sometimes hard (debateable) work pays off......LOL

Nice work on the dash re-assembly...looked like major surgery.. I didn't see it in the pics, but did you use an external antenna ? or just counting on the one inside the nav unit itself?
I am just using the internal antenna in the GPS unit itself. It hooks up with the satalites right away, no issues.

Very well done. :rock: This is something I thought about doing, but couldn't get myself to tear apart the whole center console. My other concern is that it would take my eyes off the road too much - do you find yourself with this problem?

Anyways, looks good.
I seldom look down at the unit and mostly it is for a moment (I don't stare at it) and I make sure I can, checking my driving conditions/surroundings. The reason I got this unit was for the Display.....4.7" high quality compared to Garmin and TomTom, Spoken street names, The unit also gives an audible chime for turns that need to be made (2 types...1 way for lefts, another for rights), the AAA POI's, Lane Guidance (nice HWY feature), all the hotlinks (1 touch buttons) to saved/desired destinations/locations, and Traffic (not too concerned about this but it was there and is lifetime with the unit, no subscription). The unit also has great sound control, I can hear it over the stereo, even at highway sppeds and I don't have it turned all the way up either. It does have 1 flaw, the unit is off by about 300 feet, but it gets me close enough and Magellan is addressing and fixing this (should be out soon, already addressed on a sister unit). Not a biggie. I paid $139 at BJ's on sale, normally $199.

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
nice install. i too am impressed by the dash work. i went searching threads for ideas on positions to mount my gps (also like handheld). i ended up mounting mine up on the dash near the clock (with an inconspicuous mount). as sometimes i like to have no sound from the gps and just occasionally glance at it if required.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
63 Posts
Very nice idea on the placement. I prefer my garmin setting up on the dash as I shut off the sound...can't stand that robotic ladies voice telling me what do to. Guess its a guy thing :biggrin:. The nighttime pics make it look like it was meant to be there. Overall a very nice job.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the nice words all. This was a bear to figure out. Once I did it I realized it was not all that difficult but more time consuming than anything. I still can't believe the Subaru engineers designed the access port/cig lighter that way. What I have done here is what needs to be done if your access port/cig lighter fails and needs to be replaced.........its crazy and a very poor design IMO.

All in all I am very pleased with my work. Everybody that gets in the FOZ notices it right away and comments on the nice design and ease of use. Plus because of the placement I rarely remove the unit (although it takes all of about 15 sec's, with no indication that it was there). It does not draw attention to the vehicle from outside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts