Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse for a 2010 Forester. :banana: I've read all about the Forester and I'm interested to see if it holds up to all the big talk. Normally I clock in for work at 4 a.m. and the roads are rarely plowed that early so hopefully with the Forester the drive to work on unplowed roads will be the highlight of my day...If this winter is anything like last winter there will be many of those days...I do have one question though ..regarding oil changes on a new non turbo forester..when do I take it in for the first one??

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your New Forester purchase! Post up a picture so the forum members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

On the first oil change I would say 3 to 5k miles or 3 months after use.

joe r

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Once every year or every 15 000 kilometers (about 9 000 miles). Strange thing is that there seems to be no difference between the petrol and diesel version. Almost all other brands have twice as long interval (But still at least once per year) on the diesels, but not subaru.

It is the same car but in another country. Also the first service is not at a shorter interval than the others. We have the 3 year new car warranty and 3 year or 60 000km free service. Subaru forester has got the lowest number of errors of all SUVs at the bi-annual check-ups and was voted nbr 1 in the yearly happiest owners thingie (came 2nd last year). So these service intervals doesnt seem to be a problem for the cars. I personally consider them too frequent.

I wouldnt dream about bying a car that needed service every 6000 kilometers. (3750 miles)

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Gratz with your new foz. Hope you like it :biggrin:
And welcome.

Popping cherry's heh....sounds like a bloody mess. but what do I know. I never had a brand new car :raspberry:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
Congrats on the new Foz, and welcome!
You've found a great resource here. I've learned a ton.

Sounds like you've got the perfect daily ride for your early A.M. snow treks.
Do you have the all-weather package (heated seats, etc?)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Did my 2010 2.5x at 3100 miles. Dealer sent me a coupon for free oil change before 3 months or 3750 miles.. didn't use it.
Just didn't have time to take in and leave it.....
New car is a high.
I traded my 1986 Ford F-150 for the 2010.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
16 Posts
i change mine every 2500 and max 3000. but then i drive mine pretty hard. here's something i found online at "carstogo.co.nz"

The old mantra of responsible motorists that said, "Change your oil every 3,000 miles!" is being replaced. Today car manufacturers' recommendations for oil changes range from 5,000 to 7,500, or even 10,000 miles for many cars when operated under "normal" driving conditions—more often if conditions are "severe."

Before you relax, let me point out that the way most of us drive is listed as severe by the automotive experts. According to the owner's manuals of many new cars and trucks, normal operation of a vehicle is at least 20 minutes, at a medium speed with a steady throttle, and in a clean environment.

According to one car maker's owner's manual, the oil change interval is seven months or 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions, three months or 3,000 miles under severe conditions. This is how severe is defined in the manual:

Repeated, short distance driving.
Extended periods of idling or low speed operation.
Extensive use of brakes.
More than 50 percent driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 degrees F.
Driving for a prolonged period of time in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
Driving on rough or muddy roads.
Driving in mountainous areas.
Well, it looks like the old mantra about oil changes isn't out of date after all. But what about synthetic oils, don't they extend oil change intervals?

Several car manufacturers do recommend synthetic oil for their high-performance models because of the superior protection from friction and extreme temperatures. The protection comes from the processing required to manufacture the base stock and the different additive packages they require.

Despite this better performance, synthetic additives wear out just as they do in conventional motor oils, and need to be changed. The key is driving conditions — normal or severe.

How about just changing the oil filter, can a car be driven farther between oil changes?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
Well according to what I read, first change should be no later than 3k, and after that 7k, than after every 7k for non turbo.

I did my at 1k, than I am doing again at 3k, than every 3750k after that. Subaru are known for using some oil so I don't feel like checking up the oil level, so rather than that I choose to fallow 3.7k interval. Oil changes are cheap and a good protection.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
Anothe point to make that most of us are in severe driving brackets which calls for 3.7k change interval. I would fallow that, not for warranty sake, but my own. My last car was a civic it called for 3.7 and I usually did 5-7k if I extended to 7k the oil was dirty. So if I would be you I would stick to 3.7k or even 3k interval (I don't use synthetics).

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
7000 miles sounds more realistic. Maybe the diesel can run longer? I shall consider an oil change in between the factory services provided at 9300miles.

They could add to that list:

-If you ever disengage the vehicle stability control :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts