Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,876 Posts
My guess is that you have some sort of RF interference reducing the range of your remote. I've had problems at schools, banks & medical offices. If you have a wireless system in your home, that can cause you problems. Sometimes I need to be right next to the driver door for the fob to work. Normally I can be across a parking lot & it work perfectly. :smile:

Here's a thread to look over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
They have been known to be sensitive to battery quality, preferring name brand US ones to Chinese imports.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
use yourself as a signal booster. stick the fob under your chin and press the unlock button. i get extremely long distance response from doing this, on the order of over 100 yards if i have clear line of sight.

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah check the batteries...I had an Accord that went from about 100ft. to 20ft. in about a year. It was the batteries :shake:
New battery, no change.

I wonder if any electrical gurus know how to boost the antenna power. I'm a good solder if I have directions to follow.

·
Registered
2012 Limited Auto
4 Posts
Crazy but it works

I replaced the battery in my remote and I still have to be within about 10ft for the thing to work.

Ideas?
Anyone who has never heard of this will surely think I'm joking. I know when I first heard about it I didn't believe. But it really does work...

Hold your vehicle remote directly under your chin when you press the button. It increases range significantly.

I have no idea why this works, but it does. However, I try not to let anyone see me doing it because it seems so incredibly silly!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,876 Posts
Anyone who has never heard of this will surely think I'm joking. I know when I first heard about it I didn't believe. But it really does work...

Hold your vehicle remote directly under your chin when you press the button. It increases range significantly.

I have no idea why this works, but it does. However, I try not to let anyone see me doing it because it seems so incredibly silly!
It might be as simple as "height", as in higher the antenna, the longer the range. Next time distance is an issue, try extending the hand the remote is in & pressing the button. :wink:

For my vehicles, the distance is fine, except when I'm in an area with RF interference, which reduces the range. :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
If you have a mohawk or faux hawk, the chin thing works even better. If you point the hawk at the car, it gets even better than the previous condition.

But yeah, we had this discussion very briefly in the 09 LGT key+fob thread about possibly either boosting the antenna or receiver. Still haven't looked into it yet. But I was thinking about something along the lines of how some gps receivers can be relocated with a long wire to somewhere with less stuff blocking it (on the dash for example). I bet our current antenna is a small piece of wire sticking up at a random angle.

Also, anyone wanna be as funny as the Volvo folks and try sticking a cell phone antenna booster sticker in the fob? Supposedly it works. But yeah no, I still doubt it. lol

Also, if you can find the antenna component inside the fob, can't you just solder a small coil of wire to it? The 09 LGT key fob is enclosed so we can't do that without dismantling it.

·
Registered
2003 Forester standard
3 Posts
no keyless response

I've tried two new batteries and am getting zero response. What are the chances that it is a) a bad fob, or b) a bad receiver? By the way, where is the receiver on the 2003 Forester? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts