Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had this
We just bought a new 2006 LL Bean New Years eve we have 600 miles on the car as of today. I noticed I was filling with gas a little too often.
I started keeping track 187.8 miles on 11.557 gals for 16.25 mpg
checked again today and it seems to be improving a little 181.8 miles on 9.816
gals for 18.52mpg. We drive very easy on it and don't race or anything.
Took to the dealer this am and they reset the computer there was no error codes so the dealer said it's still breaking in for awhile. but doesn't this seem low??? A major decision in my purchase was the fact they say 23-28 mpg
Thanks in advance
I'm just nervous about this fuel mileage my 2000 silverado v6 gets 18.2

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Is your Forester an auto? I have an '06 MT which get 25.5 religously. I was getting 24.5 from the start so it has gone up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are some threads on this. I have an XS auto. We average (over 18k miles) about 21-22 mpg. I've never gotten 27 mpg as per the sticker. It think this is due to the oxygenated fuel on the West Coast.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Maybe the ECU needs to learn before you'll see getting good mpg ratings

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
With an '06 XT we get about 20 comutting in DC type traffic - slow, averages 20 mph. On the road, however, we run 25 to as high as 27 mpg. So, I would expect it to do better. But, wait until it has at least 1,000 miles, if not more on it before passing judgement. New cars "wear in" and get better performance and mileage after 1-2,000 miles.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Yeah, that would usually indicate bad gas, sensor malfunction, overly dirty air filter, ...etc. all of which should not be happening/occuring on a brand new vehicle. If the reset does not help you, well I don't know what I would do but something is definitely off...maybe return it for a new one?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
FXTIam said:
With an '06 XT we get about 20 comutting in DC type traffic - slow, averages 20 mph. On the road, however, we run 25 to as high as 27 mpg. So, I would expect it to do better. But, wait until it has at least 1,000 miles, if not more on it before passing judgement. New cars "wear in" and get better performance and mileage after 1-2,000 miles.
Unless they changed it w/o me knowing, the LL bean version is the N/A so it should definitely be getting a lot better mpg than a XT.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My non turbo Forster with AT yields about 22 mpg in town and 27 on expresway long trips. I would expect my vehicle to get ~20 in downtown chicago type driving. Since Subarus usual take ~ 5,000 miles to achieve a full break-in I think I would not be concerned for many thousand more miles JMO. Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LL bean is non turbo with sticker on window says can achieve 19 to 27 city
and 23 to 33 highway when they say 23 to 28 I guess this the average
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
FXTIam said:
New cars "wear in" and get better performance and mileage after 1-2,000 miles.
that's what i noticed on my FXT until after my first oil change that was a week ago.. and it also depends on where you get gas from imo

·
Registered
116 Posts
It gets better!

Hi Duane,
When we first got our Beanmobile, our mileage was around 19/20ish around town but as the motor breaks it it definitely gets better.

We average around 23 mixed in ours but do get 27 on the highway cruising at 70ish. We currently have 7300 miles on ours....

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I have an 06 X automatic. I'm at 2200 miles. I've been getting about 26mpg. I drive about 2/3 on the freeway doing 75 in Southern California. At first, I was getting about 23 but it's been going up slightly but steady. I hope it keeps going up.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
My old FXT kept getting slightly better with each fillup until hitting about 15k, then it stabilized...my new OBXT seems to be the same way, with 2.5k it's still climbing.

D

·
0 Posts
I get terrible mileage, the gauge slowly drops and when it gets to half a tank it plummets, I may get about 300-320 to a tank, that's pretty bad. 06 forester x

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
My first tank in the city got 21.5, the next tank got 22.5. It gets better for sure though your mpg does seem low. You may have some "stuff" that needs to break-in, seat, and smoothen out over the next few hundred miles. By the way, you're not running synthetic this early, are you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I haven't changed the oil yet (620 miles) I did bring that up with the dealer service guy and he said I didn't need to do that. I was looking for anythng to help when I do change it will be Mobil synthetic
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I'm going to change my oil thi sweekend (350 miles). The first few hundred shave of all kinds of metal filings/shavings from a new engine and with our bikes, we change after the first 200-300 miles and then go to regular intervals. I don't think that is your problem though.

Check your oil level. Once my Pathfinder dropped really low without me knowing it and the gas mileage dropped by 3-4 mpg. Once I topped it off, the mpg went back to normal.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
FIRSFORESTER. I think the mileage part you read said sometime like similar vehicle get xxx to xxx miles as a range. I believe your epa rating is 22/28. I get that easy if I'm not pushing it often. My AT shift points are typically 23-2,500 rpm with a fairly steady throttle. You just don't have enought miles on a tight engine. Give it 2-3,000 miles and then measure the mileage using the odometer and tank gallons -full to full.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If your mileage stays bad after you go over 1,000 miles you might try an ecu reset and then do not use the cruise control at all for the next tankful of fuel. Just drive normally and see if the mileage pops up after a couple of tanks.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts