Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about scraping 450 miles from TWO tanks of 95ron. Mixture of 70% mway between 70 & 80 four up 30% hilly town short routes type stupidity

should I be concerned?

Cheers
mike

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
Just about scraping 450 miles from TWO tanks of 95ron. Mixture of 70% mway between 70 & 80 four up 30% hilly town short routes type stupidity

should I be concerned?

Cheers
mike
Sounds like it might be a bit high consumption but depends on driving style really. If I drive mine like I'm not concerned about fuel consumption, I get about 25mpg with a mix of rural and motorway. If I keep off boost and crucially at 60mph on the motorway, I can get 31mpg.

It seems the brick-like aerodynamics of the Foz have a dramatic effect on consumption from about 70mph up, based on my own observations whilst staying off boost and a light right foot on the Mway at those speeds. Definitely much more economy with that method at 60mph than 70mph.

Bloody boring though....

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
wow your getting how much. not many motorways close to us so 95% of my driving is on country roads and I average 160-200 miles from a tank of super unleaded. maybe closer to the higher figure if I dont drive as hard.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Mike.

keep your air filter clean. a dirty filter can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption.

you would be suprised how much crap comes out of a K&N (cotton) filter when you wash it!

Frazer

*EDIT*
you dont have to boot it past evey knob head in a Saxo.... although it is entertaining!

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh f*ck, I thought I'd be in for big fuel bills, but holy sh*t!!!! 6 months later I'm starting to realise it's an expensive job owning a soob!

bring it on!

thanks for the support fellas! :Banane35:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
keep your air filter clean. a dirty filter can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption.
A dirty air filter has 2 parts of no effect on the fuel economy of an EFI engine, that's an old hang over from carb days when the extra depression sucked more fuel out the jets, it has a tiny effect full throttle on turbo as more exhaust back pressure is generated in making the target boost. On an EFI if you have a restrictive air filter you open the throttle to compenaste and have the same pumping loss for the same airflow.

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
A dirty air filter has 2 parts of no effect on the fuel economy of an EFI engine, that's an old hang over from carb days when the extra depression sucked more fuel out the jets, it has a tiny effect full throttle on turbo as more exhaust back pressure is generated in making the target boost. On an EFI if you have a restrictive air filter you open the throttle to compenaste and have the same pumping loss for the same airflow.

Simon
so dependant on whether its clean or dirty (new or old), the EFI system compensates to stop the engine running lean or rich.????

when i first bought my car the filter was black (seriously black) and it smelled really bad on start up.

after a service, the smell of fuel on start up has gone. coincidence?

A blocked filter can increase fuel consumption upto 15% - i have never actually had the need to test this theory, but i remember this answer from engine tech exam on my HND course.

·
Registered
06 XTen
72 Posts
I nearly got 340 miles on a tank after a 350 mile round trip on the M1, but normally I get 220-250 miles per tank. Really heavy right foot though, and I love playing with the manual/auto, plus I have a fuel card.:woohoo:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
You sure they didn't just change the CABIN air filter (pollen filter) mate rather than the engine air intake filter...?

:biggrin:
i dont have a cabin filter. I change the Air filter every 3 months or so.

i was always told with EFI engines "the cleaner the better" as blocked air filters interfere with sensors and suchlike

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,575 Posts
If it doesn't have the removable cover you won't,:icon_biggrin: although there is a write up on scoobymods for cutting the slot and fitting. (I think??)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts