Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent Consumer Report evaluation for new car infotainment systems. Based on satisfaction with audio, calling and navigation functions, Subaru's was ranked at 22 out of a total of 28 systems. Based on the many comments on this forum we know it's not great, but I did not know it was that bad!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
6 Posts
Recent Consumer Report evaluation for new car infotainment systems. Based on satisfaction with audio, calling and navigation functions, Subaru's was ranked at 22 out of a total of 28 systems. Based on the many comments on this forum we know it's not great, but I did not know it was that bad!
I've been in my new Limited for 8 days, and I'm enjoying the system so far. Sure, i could suggest some improvements or find things to complain about, but compared to the HORRIBLE system in our old 2010 Honda CR-V (one of the worst UIs known to mankind), the new Starlink system is great! It seamlessly pairs with my phone every time, picks up right where it left off with the music, and is reasonably intuitive to use.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
I traded up from 2015 Touring and find the infotainment system in my 2019 Touring to be far superior. It is not without room for improvement but it is acceptable to me

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
I saw this article too, and there's no breakdown by year, which makes the data somewhat less valuable. Hopefully over time, infotainment systems across all vehicles will improve and become more standardized.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@a1pengui If you read the footnote at bottom, it says that "All systems are available on new models that are currently on sale".

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
150 Posts
Within 2 months of my 2018 Premium 2.5i I swapped out the infotainment to a Kenwood 9904s the six speaker stock sounded better to my untrained ear. I wanted CarPlay. Although the 7” infotainment recognized my iPhone the infotainment was lackluster compared with any aftermarket HD unit. I retained all the steering wheel functions plus STARLINK. I would imagine others that have Android phones probably felt the same way. Just my 2cents.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
Infotainment systems are great for a focus of driver attention where it should not be.
I think I read somewhere that you are actually supposed to be watching where you are going rather than relying on your automatic systems to tell you that are screwing up behind the wheel.
Is the increase in driver distractions the reason why automatic braking, lane departure, driver focus alarm, etc are needed in the first place?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the infotainment system in our new 2019 Forester Touring. And it doesn't look like I have a tablet screen stuck to the dash like the new Rav4's. Android auto has been great too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
161 Posts
I do think that my 2019 system is several years behind the systems in my last 4 year old car - looks pretty but there are functions that are hard to use and others that don't work as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
123 Posts
Infotainment systems are great for a focus of driver attention where it should not be.
I think I read somewhere that you are actually supposed to be watching where you are going rather than relying on your automatic systems to tell you that are screwing up behind the wheel.
Is the increase in driver distractions the reason why automatic braking, lane departure, driver focus alarm, etc are needed in the first place?
While I am still adjusting to the new car, the visibility of the 95 Honda Civic is far superior to the visibility in the Foz. I can't believe they allow cars on the road with such poor visibility. I'm still learning where the new blind spots are.

I was nervous when I first picked up the car as I felt distracted by all the buttons and displays. I've gotten to the point where I don't feel distracted. There's a lot you can control without taking your hands off the steering wheel and you quickly learn where the controls are, which is a plus. But I learned long ago that adjusting the radio/heater/AC can wait until it's safe if driving in conditions that require constant attention. You can easily crush the car in front of you traveling at 65+ mph and look away for a whole second if that car brakes hard.

·
Registered
4933 Forester
18 Posts
I moved from a 2016 Ford Focus to a forester. The hands free I the focus was way better than the forester. First the microphone does not pick up my voice and if you do not say it exactly correctly it will randomly pick a command to do. It is very disappointing for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
43 Posts
Is this the same CR that rates the Honda CR-V 2nd & 3rd overall with a defective 1.5T engine? Just asking?>:)

·
Registered
2017 Forester
23 Posts
I HATE the system in my forester and it was darn near a deal breaker when I found the same exact system in the new outback I just bought. Sound quality is ok for me, but the touch screen and restrictions on the back up camera system rank down there with 1980s hyundai stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
118 Posts
Does anybody know how the car radio business really works? Does Subaru design the radio or sub it out?

I have my doubts that Subaru actually designs the electronics inside the radios. They probably sketch a drawing of what it should physically look like and specify the dimensions. Maybe they specify the features for different levels of radios. For example, the base radio should have AM,FM,CD, and aux input. The next level adds satellite, an equalizer, etc. The top-of-the-line radio includes better speakers and an amp and so on...

Then I'm guessing that Subaru asks radio manufacturing companies for bids for each car model. I'm just curious how the car audio business works. Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
433 Posts
Does anybody know how the car radio business really works? Does Subaru design the radio or sub it out?
I would like to know this info as well. None of the cars (older/newer) that family or friends own have easily replaceable head units (plug and play type). Feels at a time that the manufacturers try to make it as difficult as possible to put aftermarket units.

Subaru's system is made by Clarion if I remember correctly. When we got ours, I was not impressed with it and tried to search a lot about replacing it but I didn't want to invest too much time and money. Plus, its a wifemobile. If something failed to work later, I didn't want to hear anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts