Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Honda Prelude
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Can you advice me what car is better (very important to me is reliability, performance, low maintenance). My favorite choices are:
Subaru Forester
autoasas.lt
Land Rover Freelander
autoasas.lt

Will be grateful for the advice.
Kimi

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
If you look at long range tests you will find that Subaru will out pace Land Rover (Ford) any day. If you're looking for reliability and an excellent AWD system, your best bet will be a Subaru.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
We considered a Freelander before we bought our Forester, adn I'm glad we didn't get teh Freelander. They are rated as one of the worst cars and have a boat load of problems and issues.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Land Rover Freelander. Unstable, increadibly unreliable and not as practical. I was even warned off buying one by the Land Rover addicts i know. All form and no function.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,008 Posts
We chose a Disco over the Freelander when the FL was first released. I would choose the Foz without a doubt. The Disco/LR2 are nice, but really only if you need A - excellent off the floor offroad capability or B - a tank with queens seating.
I'm pleased with our Discovery, but had to replace the engine @ 150k miles. It's also a rattletrap.
LR's are NOT inexpensive to maintain in my experience.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
Here is a review of used Freelanders 2002-2005:

CanadianDriver Land Rover Used Vehicle Review: Land Rover Freelander, 2002-2005

And a quick overview of its replacement, the LR2: CanadianDriver First Drives First Drive: 2008 Land Rover LR2

And for context, a used 2003-2006 Forester review:
CanadianDriver Subaru Used Vehicle Review: Subaru Forester, 2003-2006

Based on your criteria, I would go Subaru unless you really need the off-road ability the LR has. But as noted in the one review: "Land Rovers have a reputation of being unbeatable off road, but here the challenge might be getting to the rough stuff without something breaking: in general, Land Rover’s reputation for dependability leaves something to be desired, and the Freelander doesn’t deviate much in this regard."

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
I just checked my Consumer Reports reliability records - there are seven different Landrovers on the 'cars to avoid' list, there are no Subarus on it.

Every model of Subaru is on the 'recommended buy' list, there are no Landrovers on this list.

Think about it - Japanese reliability versus the legendary British repair record......

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have never been in the Landrover but my old teacher had one and he said it was the worst car he ever owned and would never touch one again. And yet I see lots on the road so someone is buying them.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
Personally, I'd take a Jeep over any Land Rover. A Jeep can at least get fixed locally and for not quite an arm and a leg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts