Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Who're you going to vote for? (alphabetical order)

• Conservative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green

• Someone else

• Not going to vote

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll root for whichever party promises a tax exemption for people purchasing a Forester XT!

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
Sexy Sally said:
I'll root for whichever party promises a tax exemption for people purchasing a Forester XT!
I will vote in absentia for that one too!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, missed the Bloc on my list, and now I can't go back to edit it. C'est la vie!

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
Tried to fix it for you...but it wouldn't take it from a moderator either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really REALLY hope the liberals don't make it back. I cannot stand Paul Martin.

Although there aren't many decent people to choose from. I suppose Prime Minister Harper would be my choice.

It's funny how you can't get decent people to run for politics. Mayhaps because the decent people are too smart to get involved with all that crap!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you about decent people.... I'm hoping for a Conservative minority with a strong NDP presence. Not that I really like the Conservatives. Personally, I don't see the difference between the Liberals and Conservatives, policy/ethics-wise.

I do find it funny how the NDP, traditionally the victims of strategic voting, may benefit from it this time. First, soft centre-lefties are going back to the NDP in an ABC strategy (Anyone But Conservative) after voting Liberal for years. And second, in ridings where Liberals and NDP are duking it out, Conservatives are voting NDP in order to deny the Liberals a seat and push them one step closer to majority.

I do find that federal politics is more for entertainment, provincial politics is what impacts my life.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Is the "green" party what I think it? Because that's the one I voted for... [/i]

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I rather go to the hospital with my Health Card and not my credit card.
I don't want Canada to go to war, which would put us into a large dept. Plus loose thousands soldiers....
Cut the Kyoto Accord? Why its already implemented why waste money and make up our own standards when we haven't met current global ones?
Scrap the wheat board? Yeah thats another genius idea!

Everyone hates Bush...So why vote him in??

·
Registered
14 Posts
How bout the sponsorship program...the gun registry...etc.. You have a finance minister (now prime minister :roll: ) who was in charge of the money in Canada. To say he didn't know about it....well that shows how good of a finance minister he was.

Harper as bad as Bush? I seriously doubt that. I agree that he isn't the best person for the position but he is better than all of the alternatives in my mind.

Ain't it all grand?!?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at it as a whole there is scandal everywhere...Look at last week with the candidate not telling Harper about the time when he got charged with smuggling a Mercedes and 121 bottles of booze across the boarder?? Did that just slip his mind?
Harper has been pretty quiet about the sponsorship scandal ever since this was released.

The gun registry, I have to admit all it needs is some common sense tweaking and it will be a good system. But Harper's LAST campaign still hasn't been paid off...BUT what has been paid off was our debt 61 million that was created by Mulroney and friends...

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I think Lamy has hit the preverbial nail on the head here! Don't allways look at what the news has to tell you about our candidates. Look at whats not being said. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not necessarily just looking at the news. Anyone who is finance minister should have a better handle on $332 million. It's not like that is a small chunk of change.

To appear to compare all scandals equally...$332 million vs smuggling a car load of booze doesn't seem equal to me.

To Harper's credit the candidate responsible was removed.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Nope, not going to vote in this Federal election......I don't like any of the party leaders (although imo, Harper is the best of the worst & we need a change from the Liberals considering they've been in power since 93'). :roll:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarily just looking at the news. Anyone who is finance minister should have a better handle on $332 million. It's not like that is a small chunk of change.

To appear to compare all scandals equally...$332 million vs smuggling a car load of booze doesn't seem equal to me.

To Harper's credit the candidate responsible was removed.
Of course he had to remove him. Well he didn't remove him, he said that if he wins, they won't let him sit in the house.

But here's a sample of an article on what Ken Dryden wrote in regards of our country and Harper.

Why is it time for a change? All the noise and nastiness, charge and countercharge, in this 20-month campaign, it can seem as if everything is wrong. Everything is bad. It isn't. Our employment growth, our increase in living standards, our productivity growth - all at or near the top of the G7. Our unemployment the lowest it's been in 30 years.

This isn't opinion. This just is. Two years of a good economy and it seems like a blessing. Eight, and it's inevitability. It's not.

Why? And most fundamentally to all of us, it's time for a change - to what? This election, like every other, is really about each party's and each party leader's understanding of the country - what it is, how it works. What it can be and should be in the future. More than a vision, more than appearances - it's what's in their bones.
A few weeks ago the Prime Minister talked about our building an early learning and child care system across the country as a "great national endeavour." Like Medicare. But to take on a "great national endeavour," you have to think in those big terms. It has to be in your bones. Part of your understanding of Canada.

Our country was built on great national endeavours - the joining of two great languages and cultures, the railroad, Medicare, the education system, the Charter of Rights. It's what Macdonald, Pearson, Trudeau - what our greatest leaders - understood.

I don't think Mr. Harper thinks in terms of "great national endeavours." I don't think that's part of his understanding of Canada. I don't think that's what's in his bones.

Their announcements on child care, public transit, persons with disabilities - so limited. So limiting. He tells us to: "Stand Up for Canada" -- but what Canada are we to stand up for?

To Mr. Harper, it's about what's in my pocket, in my backyard, people having the chance to choose for themselves, the collective good emerging out of that. And there's something to that. But there's something not. Not much of any real importance can be done alone. Part of bringing out the best in people is coaxing, nudging, inspiring them to get together, to work towards something bigger than themselves, that stretches their imaginations, that gets them to do more than they ever thought was in them.

What if, 100 years ago, government put $50 in every family's pocket and told us to build a school system - if that's where we'd like to put our money. What if, 40 years ago - here's $100 for a health care system, if that's where you want to spend it. Where would we be today? Just because our schools and health care aren't all we'd like them to be - imagine where we'd be without them.

The railroad, Medicare, the education system, the Charter of Rights - Canada is a great national endeavour. We're a country whose greatest national endeavours are still ahead. I want big things for Canada. I don't want anything less.

It's time for a change. Why? To what? We need to think hard.

Ken

If you are interested in a recent speech I gave, "A Great National Endeavour", please visit my website at www.kendryden.ca

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scandal is everywhere...

In my riding we have Vic Toews...Former Justice Minister. Mr. Toews has a criminal record..How did he achieve this? By over spending on his last election.

You might not think that this is a huge scandal, but the money was still taken from the people of the riding and used right!?!?

Mr. Toews hasn't done anything for my riding but still gets in due to the fact that he has a last name is menonite and is in a large menonite riding.

He sends out these useless updates in the mail weekly or monthly, which should say what he's currently working on or doing for the area or country. But what these updates do say is scandal this, scandal that, Liberals are corupt...

HUH? Who has the criminal charge? Practice what you preach!

·
Registered
2005 Ford Escape
83 Posts
in a discussion with one of my friends, he came up with some very good points.

"1. During the reign of mulroney, the conversative government increased our debt to a ridiculous total of 70 percent of our GDP, the Wall Street journal called us a developing country.
As a result of increased debt (to which we are still paying today) more and more money must be borrowed to pay the interest on the debt, leaving future generations extremely worse off.

The conservatives (much like the republicans) typically run high defecits which screw over the country badly, basically meaning that the tax you pay goes to pay the interest on the debt. The conservatives ran these massive defecits EVEN though they implemented free trade and GST.

Steven Harper appears to be going in the same direction with his tax cuts, which will lead to decreases in social spending. NO GOOD.

2. That being said, Paul Martin as finance minister for the liberals when they took over power in the early 90's reversed this debt trend and managed to reduce it to 50 percent of GDP. Under Paul Martin we have seen massive surpluses every year going to pay off the debt, and allowing for our tax dollars to be spent on important things, other than interest /paying off the debt. Paul Martin is a smart man economically, he is the best thing for Canada's financial situation."

i actually also didn't mind the liberal minority with NDP support we just had, it keeps the government in power in check and also helps to push the NDP agenda.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah in regards to the Toronto Sun which said there's two hundred reasons not to vote Liberal....well here's one to not vote for Harper.

BUSH

HARPER = BUSH

its not hard to figure out...Bush is sitting at home get hot and bothered about this election, just waiting for Harper to get in. Harper gets in the two will meet within a month.

Then let the war(s) begin!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts