Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as small as this forum is, poeple sure are "testy" about seing a question that was asked way back when.

Most of these forum search engines pull up way too much, and it's quite difficult to see what's been posted over the years.

I personally don't mind, if I see the same question asked many times. We should be helpful to each other.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
For as small as this forum is, poeple sure are "testy" about seing a question that was asked way back when.

Most of these forum search engines pull up way too much, and it's quite difficult to see what's been posted over the years.

I personally don't mind, if I see the same question asked many times. We should be helpful to each other.
Well we do our best to keep the number of threads to a minimum hoping to enhance the the value of each one.

Once you've been around in the same forum, ANY forum, for long enough, you get sick of answering the same questions over and over. It almost feels like a waste of time.

The more seasoned folks know about topics that have already been discussed to death and to see another one needlessly clogging up the forum is a bit irritating. The search function is there for a reason and we hope people will us it first. It takes much less time to use 'search' than post up a new thread. That is of course unless the poster is just really lazy.

Ours is better than all the rest.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
I agree with the OP, sometimes the responses are a bit unwarranted.

As for seeing the same question over and over, why bother to respond then? Just move on to a topic that appeals to you. The mods will eventually get around to combining or moving duplicated topics.

This forum is not the worst I have seen for treating new members, but it is also not the best. I suggest just show some patience and encourage the new members to be active contributors to the forum, maybe suggest different search criteria that you know will work. That's better than just grumbling that its been talked to death already so just search.......Not everyone is savvy with forums and with the amount of new owners that are taking up the Forester we can expect some less than experienced internet/forum users. We all had to start somewhere.

Somewhat off topic.......I do not find the search function to be very useful myself and seldom use it unless I am trying to find a topic I remember, so I have a better idea of the correct criteria to put in.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
be more detailed with your searches and read the stickies. our mods do a VERY good job of stickying our best thread(see how to go faster than an sti and how to turn better than a sti)

but the topic of with this vf39 fit or can i swap wrx seats get tiresome

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
o come on you didnt use the search again, there like fifty of this threads out there.........lol:raspberry:

i had to im sorry

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
I can't help but think this post is a reaction to me being a jerk here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/04-fxt-09-10-fxt-65263/

I tried to ignore it until the sarcastic comment popped up thats when I turned into bettsyjerk (the comment has since been removed but is quoted in my response)

I am sorry to the newbies and I don't want to make anyone feel stupid or make the forum membership seem rude and uninviting.

I did provide the OP with 3 links of answers instead of yelling SEARCH IT yourself... but I am sick, cold and was not in the greatest of moods at the time and apologize for that.

Subaru owners have enough crappy forums with rude and mean members- sf.org is definitely not one of them. In fact this is about the friendliest, most informative helpful automotive enthusiast sites I have had the pleasure of being a member of.

Pop over to NASIOC and ask anything, anything at all... but be sure to have a fire suit on when you do though.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I was going to say, if you aren't thick skinned enough for sf.org you'd have a heck of a time with the meanies over on Nasioc.. :biggrin:

but really this forum is pretty mellow, if people jump on your case it's usually because either:
a) you are asking something that has been answered all over the forum already.
b) you are giving grief back at the wrong people.. like trying to tell Peaty how subarus work :huh:

this forum doesn't even have a fightclub area.. lol.

mike

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
I partially agree with the OP. There are some testy members here that should avoid posting in some threads, but overall, you couldn't find a more mature auto forum. This forum is virtually troll-free.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
b) you are giving grief back at the wrong people.. like trying to tell Peaty how subarus work :huh:
LOL, that one was classic... I was just watching on the sidelines thinking to myself, you're trying to argue with the MODfather? Really? :lol:

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I suggest just show some patience and encourage the new members to be active contributors to the forum, maybe suggest different search criteria that you know will work. That's better than just grumbling that its been talked to death already so just search.......Not everyone is savvy with forums and with the amount of new owners that are taking up the Forester we can expect some less than experienced internet/forum users. We all had to start somewhere.

Somewhat off topic.......I do not find the search function to be very useful myself and seldom use it unless I am trying to find a topic I remember, so I have a better idea of the correct criteria to put in.
I personally suck at searches on this forum mostly because I don't have the automotive technical background, even after being on here for several years now, to know which terms to use to get the answers I seek.

How about a little forum magic so when on a new member clicks on "New Thread" or "Post Reply" for the first time, they are automagically taken to an FAQ repository, with a short explanation of why they were first moved there? If post count = 0 then goto the four stickies in this subforum.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
As for seeing the same question over and over, why bother to respond then? Just move on to a topic that appeals to you.
That dilutes the helpful nature of the site. Those of us who have been around for a while have seen lots of topics, know the answers, and if we aren't the ones to post it won't be inviting.

I think it's pretty simple.

The poster asking a question expects members to donate their time and energy to responding or answering a question. That's fine. But it isn't fair if the OP isn't willing to put forth any effort to try and find their answer first.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Someone argued with Peaty? Links?
haha, use the search luke :biggrin: jk

actually it's more of a general forum etiquette thing, sometimes new members go off without realizing who they are trying to teach. sometimes it pays to lurk and get a feel for who knows their stuff and who likes to post lots..

as an example over on Nasioc PatR sometimes comes around to help on really technical STi stuff.. it gets pretty hard to watch newbies stumble in and try to correct him..

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
... trying to tell Peaty how subarus work
THE RULES
  1. Peaty is always right.
  2. If Peaty is wrong, Rule 1 applies!
As for the original question, I often try to take a hybrid approach when a new member posts an extremely frequently asked question:
One relevant link
Instructions on the search criteria that will produce a useful set of answers.
A nudge toward some of the relevant stickies​
Kind of a combination of feeding and teaching how to fish.

I do get kind of frosted by the wide open "what kind of ..." questions though. Really, people, most of these simply end up with a laundry list of very subjective answers that really prove nothing.

BTW, the answer is 5W30.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I think it's pretty simple.

The poster asking a question expects members to donate their time and energy to responding or answering a question. That's fine. But it isn't fair if the OP isn't willing to put forth any effort to try and find their answer first.
I totally agree. If someone says "I looked all over and I can't find..." then I don't mind helping. It's the people whose 1st post is "Will WRX wheels fit my new Forester" or "which turbo will fit" that really get old. I won't tell those people to "search", but if I'm in a good mood I may post a link, or I may just ignore the thread.

"Newb" posts are a big reason why I created a lot of the thread I have (OEM wheels that fit etc.) so that it would cut down on the same questions over and over. I also got tires of seeing a new thread every time someone washed their car so I asked to have a "Members journal" added. I hate to see this forum become like NASIOC that has 8,000 different threads all about the same thing, with different answers in each, and 90% of the posts are insults and not helpful information.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
ya i went over to NASIOC to look for some stuff for my sisters car and it was soooo funny to look at all the insults, it was like a barfight over why you can ask about tires when talking about struts

1 - 20 of 91 Posts