Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Forester XT. I have a nasty film of tar on my windshield. I would like to polish it but I do not know if there is any sort of coating on the windshield from the factory. I have contacted several dealers and they are unable to tell me. Does anyone know if there is any sort of coating?

Dan

·
Registered
MY04 Forester XT
185 Posts
There's no special coating, just glass. I recommend some clay bar, use lots of soapy water. It's magic stuff. 3M make the best one, but any will do, especially for glass.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no special coating, just glass. I recommend some clay bar, use lots of soapy water. It's magic stuff. 3M make the best one, but any will do, especially for glass.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try clay barring the windshield with no luck. the tar is pretty well baked onto the windshield. I was going to use 3M adhesive removed and then polish it.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
I say use Bon Ami

Bon Ami

and one of those nylon plastic pot scrubbers:

S.O.S. Tuffy Nylon Scouring Pad (98130CLX)

Then follow up with Stoner glass cleaner.

You need something that is more abrasive but not damaging. I had something similar happen not too long ago. I got behind some old car that was blowing blue smoke and spewing oil all over my car.

I have this kit:

Diamondite Glass Cleaning Kit

And that's what I used to get the film off, but I have to say it's not worth the money, IMHO. What I suggest above will work just as well and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say use Bon Ami

Bon Ami

and one of those nylon plastic pot scrubbers:

S.O.S. Tuffy Nylon Scouring Pad (98130CLX)

Then follow up with Stoner glass cleaner.

You need something that is more abrasive but not damaging. I had something similar happen not too long ago. I got behind some old car that was blowing blue smoke and spewing oil all over my car.

I have this kit:

Diamondite Glass Cleaning Kit

And that's what I used to get the film off, but I have to say it's not worth the money, IMHO. What I suggest above will work just as well and a lot cheaper.
Peaty,

I have everything I need to polish the glass I just don't want to ruin the windshield if there is a coating. From the sounds of it I am good to go. I will give a nice polish and claybar.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Dan

·
Registered
Is a good movie
8 Posts
I'd be weary of using a scouring pad on the windshield...

Got any buddies at at body shop?-- ask for some Prep-sol or the likes.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... I have a nasty film of tar on my windshield. I would like to polish it but I do not know if there is any sort of coating on the windshield from the factory....
There is no factory coating on a windshield. And why polish it? To remove tar, just dissolve it. Any petroleum base solvent will dissolve tar -- gas, kerosene, WD-40, etc. Then use soap and water to remove the solvent residue.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,719 Posts
I have a 06 Forester XT. I have a nasty film of tar on my windshield. I would like to polish it but I do not know if there is any sort of coating on the windshield from the factory. I have contacted several dealers and they are unable to tell me. Does anyone know if there is any sort of coating?

Dan
There is no coating on the outside of the window. If it's just a film, I don't think you need to polish. I'd use plain old alcohol or Ronsonal (lighter fluid). :wink:

Polishing is more to remove water spots. I did this recently on the '03 using Griot's glass polish with Griot's 3" orbital. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no coating on the outside of the window. If it's just a film, I don't think you need to polish. I'd use plain old alcohol or Ronsonal (lighter fluid). :wink:

Polishing is more to remove water spots. I did this recently on the '03 using Griot's glass polish with Griot's 3" orbital. :smile:

Bobby...
Bobby,

I tried everything imaginable and I have had limited success. I will be using Griots fine glass polish and the 6" Griots orbital. I suspect that along with the tar is a very thin layer of contaminant left over from the really hard water at my old house.

How is that 3"? I was temtepd to buy it, not that I really need it just a tool geek.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
35,719 Posts
Bobby,

I tried everything imaginable and I have had limited success. I will be using Griots fine glass polish and the 6" Griots orbital. I suspect that along with the tar is a very thin layer of contaminant left over from the really hard water at my old house.

How is that 3"? I was temtepd to buy it, not that I really need it just a tool geek.

Dan
I had some very heavy water spotting on my '03 from using untreated tap water over the years. I've since bought this. The water spotting looked real bad with the 35% tint, which is like a mirror, so it really shows the water spots! :frown: Over the summer, I decided to polish it. I first used blue painters tape to protect all around the window & I'm glad I did, since it's not easy to keep control of the 3" oribital when it gets close to edges. Besides, the time it takes to apply the tape, you'll save not having a mess to clean up. :wink: I started the 3" oribital with a glass polishing pad & fine glass polish, but the water spotting was too heavy. I switched to the regular glass polish & I could see the spotting coming off. After polishing several time, the glass was "perfect" & not a water spot to be found! I did all the rear glass & was going to do the windshield & driver & passenger windows, but I got side tracked. I plan on finishing up the polishing soon. Overall, the polished glass feels very smooth & looks great! :cool:

As to my opinion on the 3" orbital. I love it! I use it to apply wax with the orange pad & it makes the job so easy! It's small, so you can get into tight areas without going where you don't want to go. I even use it for buffing by using the orange wax pad with a square cloth pad. Works great & it makes the work so easy! :smile: I just picked up the 6" orbital. It was on sale & I figure if the 3" is good, the 6" will be a blast! :biggrin:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bobby,

I have this. Not quite as nice but it worked. My new house is on a well but has an excellent filter system. Zero water spots. :woohoo: I actually tested it on my car before buying the house. The real estate agent thought I was nuts.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
35,719 Posts
Bobby,

I have this. Not quite as nice but it worked. My new house is on a well but has an excellent filter system. Zero water spots. I actually tested it on my car before buying the house. The real estate agent thought I was nuts.

Dan
I was thinking about that one, but I figured the large one would last longer. I dragged my feet for a long time, but when Griot's Garage had their sale, I figured what the heck! :biggrin:

I'm on city water, but it will still spot if the water is allows to dry on the finish, so now I use the filtered water, mostly for the final rinse & no problems with water spotting. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 XT2.0 MT
108 Posts
Cerium oxide or jewellers rouge as it's more commonly known is excellent for polishing glass, use with a polishing head and it makes the glass sparkle just don't leave the polisher on one area for too long as it generates heat which could crack the glass.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem
308 Posts
Bobby,

I have this. Not quite as nice but it worked. My new house is on a well but has an excellent filter system. Zero water spots. :woohoo: I actually tested it on my car before buying the house. The real estate agent thought I was nuts.

Dan
....ouch. Can you replace the resin in that filter or is it disposable only? Having to spend $109 for a new filter every time it needs replacing is pretty steep.

When I was shopping around for de-ionization solutions a while back I ended up purchasing a CR Spotless DIC-20 from Costco:

It has (2) 20" filters filled with color changing resin. I opted for the larger filters due to the higher flow rate and longevity. I also like this unit since it has an inline TDS meter attached to the cart. With one push of the button, you can tell what the TDS currently is (the meter remains on for several minutes before shutting off). I discovered CRS was correct and that water >20 ppm will begin to spot (at least in my area).

For $369 it came with a steel braided 4' inlet hose, a 7 pattern nozzle, teflon tape, a 50' garden hose, 2 sets of quick connects and an extra 2 bags of replacement resin (for one full refill of both cartridges). ....alone this amount of resin is anywhere from $70 - $90. CRS sells it in bulk (1 cubic foot; 45 lbs) for $215. I have searched high and low for cheaper sources of resin but the price seems to be fairly consistent. ....CRS is actually pretty competitive.

·
Registered
2005 Forestor
14 Posts
The nice thing about polishing the windshield is the way the water beads up and rolls when its raining. You almost dont need wipers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts