Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Pointless mods?

10K views 61 replies 21 participants last post by  Makingforestergreatagain 
#1 ·
Anyone willing to confess to any silly mods that don't make much difference one way or another?

I was looking at a video of a forester where someone mentioned "snorkus delete"... got me thinking what the heck is a snorkus, sounds like some sort of sea mammal and surely it's removal would really help...

Had a read on the US side where it seems to be quite a popular unpopular mod whereby one removes a large lump of plastic connected to the air intake box... turns out it's not all that useful, some people suggesting greater mpg, some suggesting worse, some suggesting love for it, others hate.. a real marmite mod I guess!

#49 ·
You don't have to remove the snorkus to get more intake noise, theres a small gasket/silencer in the airbox which is there specifically to reduce intake noise. I pulled this on my fSTI and there was noticeably more intake noise only other change is a cosworth filter which makes no difference to sound...

Auto part Product
Auto part Audio equipment

#55 ·
On the oil sump point, a mate said a friend of his had some cosworth sumps or something like that... I can't remember exactly what he said, but basically it increases the oil capacity... I'm lead to believe it would lower the sump.. therefore less clearance, I wasn't too keen on that...

Not pointless, but just on that topic, if anyone is interested I can probably try and find out more.

#56 ·
I'm wondering how much extra oil would be in the sump after the pan gets hit because it's lower than the rest of the car...
That alone may well qualify it as a useless mod...
Why you would want more oil to begin with...
  • More expensive oil changes
  • Increased time for the oil to warm up, enhancing opportunity for contamination buildup on short trips
On the plus side:
  • Hmmm... Can't think of anything..
Perhaps the "enhanced" oil sump is over qualified as a useless mod.
If the intent (provided there is one) is to have cooler oil due to a larger volume, I'd think for very hot climates an oil cooler would be a better choice.

#59 ·
I'm wondering how much extra oil would be in the sump after the pan gets hit because it's lower than the rest of the car...
That alone may well qualify it as a useless mod...
Why you would want more oil to begin with...
  • More expensive oil changes
  • Increased time for the oil to warm up, enhancing opportunity for contamination buildup on short trips
On the plus side:
  • Hmmm... Can't think of anything..
Perhaps the "enhanced" oil sump is over qualified as a useless mod.
If the intent (provided there is one) is to have cooler oil due to a larger volume, I'd think for very hot climates an oil cooler would be a better choice.
Well, there is something else, it could be a baffled sump, the Toyota 2ZZGE engine for example comes with an inadequate oil capacity and a non baffled pan, you can get an baffled oil pan/sump from Moroso to prevent oil starvation under hard cornering/braking, this pan, as do others often increases the oil capacity, this is done to handle heat better, they also are often bigger aluminum units designed to help pull heat out of the oil. Oil coolers obviously do help with the heat but not the pickup problems.

#58 ·
Haha, I think pointless now sounds quite harsh, it was meant more like "mods just for the fun of it"... as in they don't increase mpg, bhp, etc but not going as far as "new alloys"..

The snorkus delete was where it stemmed from as from what I read, it does nothing more than noise.. which is fun for some, hate for others..

If I did the delete and liked it, then I'd class it as pointless, but still likeable.. much like my prior mentioned cubby cover in my focus... utterly pointless other than just cleaned up the cubby hole and idk, meant I could hide change in there or something.... it was £20 on eBay and all the cool kids were doing it..

#61 ·
So exactly as I thought, baffled to prevent pickup issues and bigger capacity to improve oil temperature under heavy driving.

Yes you could add an oil cooler but that doesn't prevent pickup issues and has its only potential problems if you cheap out on the fittings, it can be overkill in the winter without a thermostat, I had one on my dual duty track/street car and had a blanking plate for it when driving in cooler temps on the road as it would prevent oil reaching an optimum temp. I was going to get a thermostat but that was more s*** to go wrong so this was an easy cheap solution to something I only needed a handful of times.

An unprotected lower sump on UK roads however, with some of the speedhumps we have? Not sure I'd want that either :eek:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.