Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
11,639 Posts
Wasn't the snorkus section, or whatever the proper name was, there to keep water out if you drive through deep puddles?
They changed the design from SF for the SG and that's exactly how my Foz got hydrolocked. Under heavy throttle the water just went straight across the top of the snokus box and into the filter. Two weeks the later conrod snapped and pistons went through the block!

So, do not rely on the snorkus to protect you from water damage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Makingforestergreatagain

SG UKDM headlights are the same as the JDM ones and can accept a HID Bulb, so we can swap from halogen to HID's unlike the inferior USDM market ;-)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Back on topic, upgraded the HID bulbs to being the expensive Philips Xtreme Vision - didnt throw anymore light than before, same cut-off point just abit whiter.
Got the matching LED's for the sidelights, thinking they'd throw out a similar blue light - look like normal house light yellow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You don't have to remove the snorkus to get more intake noise, theres a small gasket/silencer in the airbox which is there specifically to reduce intake noise. I pulled this on my fSTI and there was noticeably more intake noise only other change is a cosworth filter which makes no difference to sound...

1stockboxwgasket.jpg
2nogasketstockbox.jpg

·
Registered
725 Posts
Those crazy earthing kits that our Japanese friends love so much seem a bit pointless.

I purchased an fitted an expensive KillerB oil sump pipe and have always felt that was a bit of a waste. There doesn't seem to be any failures of this part on FSTIs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Speaking of bulk....
Most of what you find in the JC Witney catalog, but at the risk of not getting the huge benefits by adding EVERY accessory, which would provide you with a 1,200 bhp Forester that gets over 100 mpg's...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
On the oil sump point, a mate said a friend of his had some cosworth sumps or something like that... I can't remember exactly what he said, but basically it increases the oil capacity... I'm lead to believe it would lower the sump.. therefore less clearance, I wasn't too keen on that...

Not pointless, but just on that topic, if anyone is interested I can probably try and find out more.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm wondering how much extra oil would be in the sump after the pan gets hit because it's lower than the rest of the car...
That alone may well qualify it as a useless mod...
Why you would want more oil to begin with...
  • More expensive oil changes
  • Increased time for the oil to warm up, enhancing opportunity for contamination buildup on short trips
On the plus side:
  • Hmmm... Can't think of anything..
Perhaps the "enhanced" oil sump is over qualified as a useless mod.
If the intent (provided there is one) is to have cooler oil due to a larger volume, I'd think for very hot climates an oil cooler would be a better choice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Haha, I think pointless now sounds quite harsh, it was meant more like "mods just for the fun of it"... as in they don't increase mpg, bhp, etc but not going as far as "new alloys"..

The snorkus delete was where it stemmed from as from what I read, it does nothing more than noise.. which is fun for some, hate for others..

If I did the delete and liked it, then I'd class it as pointless, but still likeable.. much like my prior mentioned cubby cover in my focus... utterly pointless other than just cleaned up the cubby hole and idk, meant I could hide change in there or something.... it was £20 on eBay and all the cool kids were doing it..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm wondering how much extra oil would be in the sump after the pan gets hit because it's lower than the rest of the car...
That alone may well qualify it as a useless mod...
Why you would want more oil to begin with...
  • More expensive oil changes
  • Increased time for the oil to warm up, enhancing opportunity for contamination buildup on short trips
On the plus side:
  • Hmmm... Can't think of anything..
Perhaps the "enhanced" oil sump is over qualified as a useless mod.
If the intent (provided there is one) is to have cooler oil due to a larger volume, I'd think for very hot climates an oil cooler would be a better choice.
Well, there is something else, it could be a baffled sump, the Toyota 2ZZGE engine for example comes with an inadequate oil capacity and a non baffled pan, you can get an baffled oil pan/sump from Moroso to prevent oil starvation under hard cornering/braking, this pan, as do others often increases the oil capacity, this is done to handle heat better, they also are often bigger aluminum units designed to help pull heat out of the oil. Oil coolers obviously do help with the heat but not the pickup problems.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
21 Participants
Makingforestergreatagain
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing