Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
@TMX, I haven't actually gone down the route of the cosworth filter just yet..

When I picked up the fozit had not long had a service from the "dealer"... prior to that it was serviced about this time every year. I'm thinking to break up the costs I might service it soon, that way it's being looked over very 6 months or so (with the MOT being the other check over).

Engine tuner sell the cosworth filter for a decent price iirc. Not sure whether to ask them to service it and just get the filter from them etc or start piece mealing it. I don't have a drive way for diy work like oil/filters etc..
When I first got my Forester, to spread the cost of servicing, especially the big ones, I would buy the parts myself, building up a pile, then take them all to the garage when the service was due - Ofcourse you need a garage that is happy for you to supply your own parts, but in my opinion it does make life easier when trying to top up fluids, as you know what exactly is in there already.

Ian, Does the place you use for MOTs mind if you look under the car yourself during the test, asking the tester questions along the way ? I can't imagine the big chains would but the small corner place I use don't seem to mind as long as you aren't wearing flipflops or something daft. You can get an idea of any rust, leaks and what parts might be on the radar for replacing in the future.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
From my understanding, the Snorkusectomy, is the removal of part 1
here yes go
If I recall,when I tore off my intake to install plugs, the "snorkus" part had a drain hole in the bottom. My guess is to drain out rain that gets injested.

Should be a simple thing.to just.glob a bit of Plumber Goop ,RTV on the outside of that hole and leave snork in place provided it is checked periodically for accumulated water if driving in much rain/,snow.
Anything less.ought to just evaporate on its own.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
@Makingforestergreatagain
How did you do that !?

Edit:
Both myself and OP are from the UK, the rain capital of the world it seems. OP being from Devon way, they get probably the most in the UK, second only to possibly Scotland - Puddles are a way of life........We don't really have Evaporation a lot here, just "Less Damp" :LOL:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@TMX

Unfortunately I'm in limbo currently with regards to MOT garages...

The guys I've been using for years somewhat upset me so I'm inclined to avoid them now.... basically my repeat custom had been rewarded with them swapping out quick bulbs for no Labour etc, we got on quite well and they knew I recommended them etc, there was a communication issue with one of their reception staff whereby he told me tracking had been done despite it not being done.. my bad observation lead to poor wear, they offered to go halves on new tyres all done/fine. Then they proceeded to charge me Labour at every opportunity for things they'd not done before (other thsn when I'd first used them!) So effectively I was a new customer.. so not overly keen on returning purely as I'm not sure that I'm listed on their gravy train section now..

Just to clarify, it's not that I'm averse to paying what is owed, I just don't like sudden changes in how someone charges after a minor disagreement... (over budget tyres!!).. and I still paid them for tracking after the new tyres...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
5,550 Posts
From my understanding, the Snorkusectomy, is the removal of part 1 in this diagram. It acts as a resonator to quieten the noise down but also makes it safer to drive through deep puddles in regards to water being drawn through the intake or rather lessens the chances of any water being sucked in.

Mine remains fitted, as it was from the factory. I have not removed it.

Edit: I can't remember how to add pics to posts anymore :confused: I'm trying to add the pic from this page. http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s11/type_24/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/air_cleaner_and_element/illustration_1/
you need to save it to your pc and then use the 4th icon from the left at the bottom of the post to insert it. You can no longer post pictures from non https sites and then again not all https sites either

Removing the resonator allows you to have a cold air feed from the top of the wing area protected by the mud guard (wing liner), but utilising the OEM air box. Especially good when you use a velocity stack to flow the air into the box.
Yes it does allow more "turbo"sound to be heard and it also helped my 2.0FXT to make 236 BHP on its OEM TF035 turbo as you can flow far more air.
There is a full writeup by Peaty on Scoobymods....

Also have run K&N filters on all my Subarus since 1997 and have never had a problem with MAF failures or contamination. You get more oil in the inlet system due to the pcv system than you would from the air filter.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sadly, this thread was heading towards useful modifications, but there may be hope yet...
How about nitrogen filled tires!!!
Great moneymaker for when the normal ambient 78% nitrogen just isn't quite good enough...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
... and stickers to make you go faster.
I'm thinking that you were referring to something like flames, but then....
While stickers don't actually alter a vehicle's speed, an otherwise innocuous sticker in the wrong part of town may ACTUALLY make "you" go faster... Like, maybe a MAGA bumper sticker during an Antifa Riot, for example.
The natural reaction would be to press the skinny pedal, and there you go... Both figuratively and literally.
Conversely, a sticker can make you go slower or not at all, for example the Bernie sticker on a Crosstrek that caused the tow truck driver to say bye-bye when he saw it.
Sadly, both real world examples.. Can't we all just get along...
(Provided politics, religion or the best brand of oil isn't being discussed)
:)

·
admin
6,667 Posts
That is true only if you use JDM STi dielectical grease.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts