Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to confess to any silly mods that don't make much difference one way or another?

I was looking at a video of a forester where someone mentioned "snorkus delete"... got me thinking what the heck is a snorkus, sounds like some sort of sea mammal and surely it's removal would really help...

Had a read on the US side where it seems to be quite a popular unpopular mod whereby one removes a large lump of plastic connected to the air intake box... turns out it's not all that useful, some people suggesting greater mpg, some suggesting worse, some suggesting love for it, others hate.. a real marmite mod I guess!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Makes it louder, usually. Purpose, I believe is to cancel out some noise.
No real performance benefit.
Jeez you know a lot can you give us some back ground info on your self ? you have averaged over 10 posts a day in your 2 months on sf.org .
If your bored can you do some research for me?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
No just making sure Ian has the best advice going forward !
Your percentage of posts out ranks mine by a long way .
I was just wondering why we should listen to you ? ex nascar mechanic ?

Give us some reason to think you have good advice to give.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahah, I have heard it's a noise creator and it's common belief amongst some that noise > bhp... or noise = bhp.

Some pointless mods I've done in the past on previous cars would be some interior cosmetics, such as pedal covers (metal with rubber, rather than just rubber). Erm, inserted a cubbycover much like the ashtray one in the XT.. this was even more pointless as it actually meant losing a 12v socket.. lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
On my old Saturn Vue, it just made the intake drone loudly when you romped on it. It was called the Bong delete.
It is all in the eye of the beholder, as far as cosmetic mods...

. Gotta have that MOMO shifter knob:love:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Maybe Lockheed will like this one? Strut tower brace is a pointless mod.
He could always start his own thread," Lockheed vets you, are you worthy?"... only 100000 some oddmembers to wade through... but prior to that he needs to post his qualifications to be in charge of the vetting..
On the opposite end of worthless, I would say a good mod is swapping out stock rubber sway bar bushings
( generically sized to fit most any diameter bar) for Energy Suspension poly bushings with the greaseable holddowns. Coupled with adding at least 5 psi to the door jamb tire pressure recommendation, it adds a more solid feel to the car and gets rid of some of that " boaty" feeling you get with a sudden lane change.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Wasn't the snorkus section, or whatever the proper name was, there to keep water out if you drive through deep puddles? I have mine still fitted and have no plans to remove it anytime soon. Water in the intake will cause you a bad day.
And yes, as post 12 mentions, avoid oilled air filters like the plague - It will contaminate your MAF sensor. Cosworth do a great option that still filters while breathing better without using oil - I'm sure I gained 1-2mpg switching filters too....ish

Engine dress up kits probably count as a pointless mod unless it is some kind of show car.............(Not including silicone pipework)
6K Kelvin LEDs for the interior are fairly pointless and harsh on the eyes at night too.
Extra Grounding kits for the engine bay - The 2006 Forester I bought had one fitted and was one of the first things I removed - To be fair to the previous owner, I totally understand why he fitted it as he was trying to fix a problem
Dark tint headlights/tail lights are the most pointless thing ever in my opinion....

I actually like my STI pedal kit with metal and rubber spots compared to the factory black rubber pads that fall apart and become slippery in the wet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are making mods to make your car more "manly" I would suggest spending the money on a gym membership instead
I'm not after anything to make me feel more manly.. this was simply a vessel for those to confess their sins or encourage others to do something silly...

As for that gym membership, gotta love/hate "The Gym"...24hr access and all the self loving folk you could want..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@TMX, I haven't actually gone down the route of the cosworth filter just yet..

When I picked up the fozit had not long had a service from the "dealer"... prior to that it was serviced about this time every year. I'm thinking to break up the costs I might service it soon, that way it's being looked over very 6 months or so (with the MOT being the other check over).

Engine tuner sell the cosworth filter for a decent price iirc. Not sure whether to ask them to service it and just get the filter from them etc or start piece mealing it. I don't have a drive way for diy work like oil/filters etc..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wasn't the snorkus section, or whatever the proper name was, there to keep water out if you drive through deep puddles? I have mine still fitted and have no plans to remove it anytime soon.
My review highlighted the removal of a noise canceling portion of the intake plumbing. If that stops water from being injested, that is a good thing.
Maybe we're talking about 2 different mods? You mention having yours "fitted"?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My review highlighted the removal of a noise canceling portion of the intake plumbing. If that stops water from being injested, that is a good thing.
Maybe we're talking about 2 different mods? You mention having yours "fitted"?
From my understanding, the Snorkusectomy, is the removal of part 1 in this diagram. It acts as a resonator to quieten the noise down but also makes it safer to drive through deep puddles in regards to water being drawn through the intake or rather lessens the chances of any water being sucked in.

Mine remains fitted, as it was from the factory. I have not removed it.

Edit: I can't remember how to add pics to posts anymore :confused: I'm trying to add the pic from this page. http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s11/type_24/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/air_cleaner_and_element/illustration_1/

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
21 Participants
Makingforestergreatagain
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing