Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone have any advice on a HD Pocket video camcorder Mac compatible and under 200 bucks? I've been trying to surf around to see what would be the best in the above categories..
Thanks
:biggrin:
Dan

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
155 Posts
I use a Flip video Ultra HD. It's really easy to use and video and sound are very good considering the size of the device. I choose the Ultra over the Mino, because the Ultra has more storage, and the batteries are swappable, versus the fixed battery in the Mino.

Stick a Joby gorillapod on it, and you can mount the camera just about anywhere. I've wrapped the gorillapod around my windshield wiper arm on my Forester, and it was perfect for slow speed offroad footage. Higher speeds would call for a more stable mount, but for the off road guys, it was perfect. Last weekend, we chartered a fishing boat, and the Ultra was the perfect camera. It was small and out of the way, and quick to turn on and start filming when I needed it.

They're mac compatible, Iphoto imports the video as you would expect, and you can work with it from there. Or, you can use the software that comes with. I prefer Iphoto, since that is where I keep most of my pics and videos.

Flip Video Camcorder - Digital Camcorder | Flip Video
Joby

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EXXcellenttt..Thanks so much for your guys 2 cents, I have a 10 month old running around and wanted to shot some vid before he starts driving..

Cheers~

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
You could also get one of the new ipod nanos. Not the best quality but pretty cheap and very small.

The flip camcorders are great, got one for my sister and she loves it, very easy to use.

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Reviving an old thread here - anyone use a flip video camera for filming autocross runs? I was thinking of getting a flip and this cheap mount for the windshield:

Amazon.com: Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction Cup Mount: Camera & Photo

Actually, the wife wants a flip and I figured I might as well buy a mount so I can use it for my purposes while I'm at it ;) Not like I could buy one just for autocross!

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
WOW, that thing is really tiny! Not just small, TINY! But I think she'll prefer the flip since it has a screen.

I'm looking at the UltraHD. It's unfortunate you can't put your own SD card in it, but it gets good reviews in most areas.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Big fan of the FlipHD here as well, the output is amazing for such a small device. I recently made a video for someone's 50th birthday that all of the guests used Flip cameras to send me videos.. looked really good.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
12 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Go Pro cameras. Ya the HD version is $300 but its worth every penny. it is small and comes with several mounts and a water proof casing for it. I use it skiing as a helmet cam and if can take a real good beating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts