Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just spent several days in SW Va. with family, took the Sport. We had opportunity to drive near 600 miles total as to get anywhere from their home is 30 miles to just get to first gas station or cold soda or coffee or hot dog. It's rural, and one day we took them down 221 / 58 / 16 into western NC to Shatley Springs for a great meal, and we also visited Snoopers up at Wytheville, and some other back road touring, we used Interstate only when coming home. Most of the driving was with 4 grown adults.

I read people talking about gutless CVT but if one just mashes on it, the revs go up and she accelerates well as the CVT continuously increases the car speed with CVT as motor (engine) is kept up in a good torque range. I know, It ain't "gears" jerking, snapping, but that speedometer is climbing pretty good for what she is. I like gears and a firm shift auto, but this here CVT was more than just OK.

Love the adaptive cruise, first times I had driven with it for far.

Car ('19 Sport) consistently averaged 30+ MPG, ride was smooth, AC was nice when needed. Loved the radio, SiriusXM, and the several phone calls using Bluetooth set up were very clear.

I did note that with 4 grown adults, the rear shock damping seemed a bit soft. I'll have to study that. It's a new car with but 7xx odd miles, but some better damping would suit me more. My 6'3" brother in law and his wife commented several times on room and comfort, all good. Before I seriously look at shocks, I'll wear these OEM tires and put some better rubber on I guess.

Never opened sun roof.

Seemed a bit lacking in feedback, but the elec assist steering is growing on me.

Was able to haul a lot of stuff in back.

Brakes are great, they never showed weakness.

In short
…. just needs a little more rear damping.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
88 Posts
I have over 8200 miles on my 19 Sport. So far so good. Only thing I wish it has was the heated steering wheel, but won’t have to deal with that for another 6ish months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
13 Posts
@CrystalPistol Really interesting to read. I've just taken delivery of a '19 Forester Sport and have family visiting from the UK in June, so we'll be taking a few road trips with 5 people and I was wondering how well it might cope. It sounds like it should cope pretty well. :smile2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@CrystalPistol Really interesting to read. I've just taken delivery of a '19 Forester Sport and have family visiting from the UK in June, so we'll be taking a few road trips with 5 people and I was wondering how well it might cope. It sounds like it should cope pretty well. :smile2:
In our rides, total maybe 300 miles with us all in it … my wife and her brother's wife rode in back. My wife is not small and her sister in law is fighting weight issues, and they were not crowded at all. Wife says an additional medium size teenager would have been OK. I guess depends on sizes of the three anticipated riders?

I and my wife's brother in front, I driving …. I am 5'10" about 220, he is taller with longer legs, but we both were very comfortable.

For most of the miles, I just ran it in regular drive, but did try the SI a little. Throttle was better, but the CVT really did a good job of keeping RPM in a good torque range when needed. Lots of hills and altitudes up to near 3,000 feet there where we was riding, some lower places (like between West Jefferson, NC and Floyd, Va and over Wytheville way) and still managed 30-32 mpg.
I liked the adaptive cruise, it adjusted speed to slow to that of slower vehicles I came upon, and at a very respectful distance, and stayed there until I pulled out to pass, then it accelerated.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
13 Posts
I'm the tallest at 5'10" and slim, my father and brother-in-law are shorter than me and my mother and sister are quite small, I'm sure they'll still be rubbing shoulders in the back but it sounds like they should fit in fine.

I've already used the adaptive cruise control on the highway and it works really well doesn't it. One of the modern gadgets fitted to cars that is actually really useful. It takes a lot of the stress and strain out of highway driving and makes it far less tiring.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm the tallest at 5'10" and slim, my father and brother-in-law are shorter than me and my mother and sister are quite small ….. etc ...
I'm sure then, y'all will be A-OK. Be curious as to results.

Went for our "Encore Delivery" today, got a gas card, filled in some gaps in our knowledge learned since April 9th as well.

Then we (just "Wife Unit" and I) spent a few hours riding back roads, really liking this Sport, even the CVT. Played with Si drive too. Stopped to fill tank on way home, saw car claimed 34.1 mpg on tank, did some math, pretty darn close to spot on.

Just shy of 1,000 miles now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts