Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the you tube and links from here, but is a '14 change the same as earlier years sans iridium plugs? Any good advice?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Subaru switched to coil-on-plug ignition for the non-turbo FB25 engine when it was introduced in the MY2011 Forester (US market). The recommended plug for the MY2011 through MY2014 FB25 is the NGK SILZKAR7B11; check the Specifications section in the OM for any of these model years.

If you're looking for a "how to", look for one based on this engine and time frame, as changing each plug means removing/replacing its coil and associated hardware. "How to's" for the MY2010 and older non-turbo EJ25 engine don't exactly apply.

Hope this helps,
Jim / crewzer

P.S. I just have to ask: Why are you researching this topic?

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep looking for the how to article.

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
109 Posts
The front plug on the passenger side looks like it might be very difficult to get out. With the 14's I guess we have plenty of time to figure it out. Anyone know why Subaru recommends replacing plugs at 60K miles when everyone else is at 100k?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
The front plug on the passenger side looks like it might be very difficult to get out. With the 14's I guess we have plenty of time to figure it out. Anyone know why Subaru recommends replacing plugs at 60K miles when everyone else is at 100k?
I don't know if the FB has a "Wasted Spark" (Fires every 360 degrees). That might be a reason. Other possible reason is to get folks back to the dealer. I personally would change plugs at that mileage anyway. But then again...I was raised on the copper plugs. :icon_eek:

It has been discussed as I recall. Always with idle speculation (like mine)

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I don't know if the FB has a "Wasted Spark" (Fires every 360 degrees).
The FB25 is a "coil-on-plug" engine with a separate coil for each plug. Each plug fires once every 720 degrees.

I suspect this coil-on-plug configuration is directly related to the 60K plug change interval for the EJ25 turbo and the FB25 engines. The "old" non-turbo EJ25 engine's "wasted spark" configuration delivered a 30K mile plug change interval.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the job. Not too bad, about two hours of leisurely work. Old plugs looked as good as the new ones, maybe the electrode was a bit more rounded than new, but looked like a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Can I ask you what led you to change the plugs on your 2014 Forester?

Thanks,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
The FB25 is a "coil-on-plug" engine with a separate coil for each plug. Each plug fires once every 720 degrees.

I suspect this coil-on-plug configuration is directly related to the 60K plug change interval for the EJ25 turbo and the FB25 engines. The "old" non-turbo EJ25 engine's "wasted spark" configuration delivered a 30K mile plug change interval.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Yea I actually thought that might be the case but I didn't want to put out more bs. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you getting your information on when servicing needs done?

This along with the fuel filter thread. Want to make sure you are not wasting money...

Here is a good, easy to read, chart showing the maintenance intervals for each item. 2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

Thanks for your concern, but I've got the miles and the info comes from maintenance schedule found in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
109 Posts
Did the job. Not too bad, about two hours of leisurely work. Old plugs looked as good as the new ones, maybe the electrode was a bit more rounded than new, but looked like a waste of money.
How was it getting the front passenger side plug out? At first glace it looks really tight to get to.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
It's been a long time since I did Subaru plugs, but IIRC, they were much easier to get to from underneath. The aero package on the '14 may make that a bigger pain than it used to be.

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How was it getting the front passenger side plug out? At first glace it looks really tight to get to.
I removed the air filter case and etc. on the pass side and the battery and etc. on driver's side. The purchase of a multi-jointed 3/8" drive socket wrench from our friends at Harbor Freight really made the job livable.

·
Registered
2021 Premium
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been a long time since I did Subaru plugs, but IIRC, they were much easier to get to from underneath. The aero package on the '14 may make that a bigger pain than it used to be.
Top down was really not as bad as I expected. FYI, the "skid" pan is held on with a few easy to get at screws. I know, because I dropped the socket and had to go after it. Subaru was kind enough to include snap open mini-hatches in the pan, but too small to get the socket. But overall I will agree with those who recommend going through the hood to remove the plugs. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it can be done any other way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts