Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used their Forester with a snowplow on the front? I'm particularly interested in photos. Just got a big dump here, about 35 cm, or over a foot, and it's still coming down. Someone talked about putting a plough on their SF in the old forum, but I think it was just talk, he hadn't actually done it.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
I wouldn't ever consider it. Subarus are not designed for that kind of abuse. You need weight to make it work. Full size pickups or full size SUVs - Chevy Tahoe or bigger. You overheat the engines and transmissions quickly. A snowplow package from Chevy includes oil cooler, tranny cooler, and probably lower gearing. Plus an extra 1,500 pounds over the FX.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
Don't you have a wife and children?

·
Registered
276 Posts
wow with the AWD system and the tranny and stuff id not even consider it. I don't think EITHER are built for that kind of abuse. Not to say they are weak.....just not built for that. Id hate to see you destroy the AWD or my concern would even more be the tranny...plowing does a job on those...just ask anyone that plows either on the side or for a living.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it for pickups either, unless it was somebody else's borrowed...takes a REALLY heavy duty rig to do the job, year in, year out...very difficult proposition to make money at too.
We hire eager neighborhood kids, often so as to not let much buildup occur...easy then...of course today in Anchorage, we're getting freezing rain falling on recently rained on snow...should be fun to watch!
By the way, the XT with studded Hakapeliita 2 snow tires has TANK-like traction on ice~on stuff you can't STAND on without concentration, let alone walk casually on, the clickety-click is audible and musical to my ears...I'm even comfortable with my better-half taking it out in this weather!
-Quick
-Quick

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
My .02, if you "really" need it, buy an old jeep wrangler, (you can find these for less than 800) sometimes they are allready set up for ploughing, kinda extreme measure for snow if ya ask me..

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don't even see a lot of people using a unibody truck or suv for plowing, the weight and torsion on the body is really significant. The whole driveline and radiator get pounded from plowing snow, it's really very heavy stuff when you push it all in a pile. Don't waste your money, buy a used walk behind.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Our driveway is about 100' long, moderate uphill. Right now we have it plowed by a guy with a truck. After talking with friends in a nearby town, we're very happy with the cost of plowing (Cdn $18/plough, or about $300/year, as opposed to our friend paying $50/plough!).

I do remember someone on SF.com talking about this though. Is he/she here?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They might have been talking about driving in snow so deep that they were pushing snow with the front end while driving. We occasionally get snow that deep around me and sometimes the road plows don't come for days and you may end up driving through snow over your bumper. I know I have at least once in the past as has my neighbor who used to sell Subies. We use a 4wheel ATV to plow our driveways and barnyard. It's served us pretty well for over a decade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After a few years of dealing with some spotty plowing contractors, I got a 32" walk behind and it has been great. I don't have to worry about the "where to push it" issues and everything isn't getting wrecked, plus I can clear the snow when I need to. I'm happy with this solution, I have maybe 200 feet of drive and can complete snow removal and shovel cleanup in 20 mins.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a ATV for plowing snow and it works awesome, plus when you don't need the plow take it off and then you can have a lot of fun 4 wheeling on the ATV.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
dlroto said:
I use a ATV for plowing snow and it works awesome, plus when you don't need the plow take it off and then you can have a lot of fun 4 wheeling on the ATV.

BUT then again, now you have a lot of extra weight from the mounting brackets braces for the plow

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
We used to have an old BRAT that we used to plow the lot at work (it also did parts deliveries) until it became so rusty it was considered an eye sore (and unsafe)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts