Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Sexually Trans infec 6MT
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking this week about selling the FXT and picking up an 06 Cayman S as they're in the $30K range.

~300HP H6 with 5sec 0-60 and low/mid 13 1/4 mile puts it close to my VF FXT but the handling just doesn't compare. The 911 Carrera outperforms it by a tiniest bit.
The FXT can be made faster where the NA H6 not so much.
I basically want to get away from wasting bags of money on go-fast parts and the street racing in school zones crowd. I picked up the FXT hoping it would be functional (wagon) for all my outdoorsy crap, but now it sits in the garage and only comes out to play when it's nice out (I picked up an SF for bad weather/roadtrips/camping).

The only thing is that I already have over $10Gs into the FXT and it's one of the most unique cars in my area. Just picked up a V7 6speed and considering not doing it and instead sell it all off.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
So when would you drive it if your FXT sits in the garage & you have a SF forester?

Why stop now on the FXT & you have taken the next step just like me with the 6speed.

Whats worse, getting your arse handed to you buy a Cayman S or a Turbo'd BOX!

Those 3 points would make me stay with my FXT.If you do part let me know?lol

joe r

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when would you drive it if your FXT sits in the garage & you have a SF forester?

It would replace the FXT in the garage and drive it any time the roads are clean.

Why stop now on the FXT & you have taken the next step just like me with the 6speed.

Thats the thing, I have the JDM 6speed, r180, axles, hubs and brembos all sitting on the garage floor, so it's not too late to sell it off.

Whats worse, getting your arse handed to you buy a Cayman S or a Turbo'd BOX!

yeah, i considered the Cayman being smoked by all my friends' Foresters, but there will always be a faster car out there

Those 3 points would make me stay with my FXT.If you do part let me know?lol

I'm just trying to figure out the cost I'll inquire with the Porsche, like brakes and maintenance. The mods would be limited, maybe an exhaust and those dope wheels in the dark green pic.

joe r

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
If I did not have two small kids, I WOULD have a Cayman S. They are so sweet stock, I don't think I'd even mess with it either. My dad has the regualr Cayman, and even though my XT is much quicker/faster, the Cayman FEELS quicker due to being so low and the handling blows away the XT. Just cruising at 40 is more exciting than doing 80 in the XT.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
ill kick you in the shins if you buy one...........does that help?? lol and you have 10,000 into the forester, you know your not going to get even close to getting that back in the sale, right??? so why waste all that money

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I can't talk you out of it. The Boxster / Cayman platform seems like a really sweet bit of engineering. I told the wife earlier this year, during my frequent "wish I could" musings, that a Boxster is on the list of toys I'd love to get one day. Unfortunately for our finances, she doesn't disagree.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Porsche's, my dad has a 944S2 cabrio (M030 sport suspension if any one cares). Porsche has perfected steering feel, you will hate your steering in the Foz if you get the Cayman. It will handle amazing and fulfill all you street motoring needs, but if it were me and I already had a built Foz I would go for one of these for about 10k less. Spend the rest on track time and tires.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just like the SmartForTwo, your car could withstand crashes at those "speeds" but your body certainly wouldn't.

Besides crashes, theft is another concern. Unless I've hired 4 bodyguards driving some kind of macho guy car that would protect me and that Cayman S (when parked somewhere) 24/7, I'd rather get some other sports car that isn't so flashy and basically asking to be stolen.

And then I don't like the styling, look, and the fact that it's a very low sports car (I don't like driving seriously low sports cars). But that's my personal opinion of the car.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ at those "speeds"?
The FXT is faster than the Cayman and it doesn't handle as well at those "speeds"

As for theft/flashiness, in my part of town and downtown where I work the FXT is 10 times more flashy. ( I usually see at least 4 Porsches on my 12 mile commute to work and park between 2 in the parking garage (the boxer corner) :lol:)

as for styling, I do like the 911 rear end better but can't afford that.
and finally, I sat in a Porsche at the auto show and loved being right on the ground.
I'm afraid that if I actually drive one I'll be sold.

·
Registered
177 Posts
^^ at those "speeds"?
The FXT is faster than the Cayman and it doesn't handle as well at those "speeds"
Faster in what? Highest MPH, 0-60? Unless people are counting wrong on stock models or your definition of "speeds" and "fast" are different to mine, the Cayman S is significantly faster.

But that's besides my point. No car will save you at such "speeds" to where the safety of the car no longer stops you from jerking around like a rag doll at such high speeds. Your body would not be able to withstand that force, obviously. But I would assume people buying sports cars, because well it's a SPORTS car, would be more likely to speed at higher speeds than those in say a crossover with 8.9 inches of ground clearance. Are you seriously going to try and outrun a stock Cayman S in your stock Subaru Forester and think you're going to win?

Now if you're comparing an FXT that is modified, then it's only right the Cayman S would need to be modified to the same point or percentage, even if it is an apple and orange. No stock vs. modified. =P That's unfair and NOT what I'm basing my opinion on.

As for theft/flashiness, in my part of town and downtown where I work the FXT is 10 times more flashy. ( I usually see at least 4 Porsches on my 12 mile commute to work and park between 2 in the parking garage (the boxer corner) :lol:)
If we're going to talk about different parts of towns then I'm not sure about "the FXT" where you live but the FXT isn't considered "flashy" in Colorado. At least not by the egotistical car enthusiasts where I live. They call the FXT a wagon, SUV, or family car. It's hardly considered more flashy when in comparison to sports cars, at least around here.

What thief in their half mind of sports cars would take the Subaru Forester over a Cayman S? Obviously some Subaru Forester enthusiasts. But I haven't met a thief that would miss out on a chance if compared to the Cayman S or the Subaru Forester. But that's just me.

as for styling, I do like the 911 rear end better but can't afford that.
and finally, I sat in a Porsche at the auto show and loved being right on the ground.
I'm not a fan of Porsche cars, period.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, I'm comparing a modified FXT to the stock Cayman S.
I'm about to drop even more money into the FXT making it much faster than the Cayman, where if I got the Cayman I would keep it stockish and enjoy a different part of driving (handling instead of straight line speed)

current FXT (no 8.9" of clearance) which gets more looks than a Porsche around here:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
you know what you have to do...

Seriously though, as someone who spent the first 15 years looking at 911 and 935 posters on the bedroom wall if there was any fiscally responsible way to get my behind into a porsche it would be there.
I recommend you do the same..:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Cayman S + TurboXS = WIN.

Either that, or get an Elise/Exige. Elise/Exige + TurboXS = WIN.

You already have my old SF for offroad duty.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts