Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a small pickup truck for my second vehicle.(for the bed)
Not wanting to spend a fortune on the truck though.

Really, in my price range... my options seems to be: Toyota, Nissan and Ford(Mazda).

Which is will give me the best bang for the buck?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Best bang for the buck? A utility trailer. No recurring registration or maintenance costs, and definitely available for a fraction of the price!

This is what we did yesterday...

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
i agree with Silke, anything the bed of a little pickup can do a utility trailer can do better.

Heres one from Canadian Tire, Lifetime Folding Trailer | Canadian Tire they can fold up out of the way and they cost 1/2 what you are willing to spend on a truck. Also that $2000 truck you buy may need some repair work in the short term.

If you were looking at a bigger truck for the box I would vote for the big truck, but a little p/u can't get drywall home from the store.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
I am looking to get a small pickup truck for my second vehicle.(for the bed)
Not wanting to spend a fortune on the truck though.

Really, in my price range... my options seems to be: Toyota, Nissan and Ford(Mazda).

Which is will give me the best bang for the buck?
Trailer sounds like a great idea, but if you are looking for a $2000 vehicle of any description, the most important factor will be the health and condition of the vehicle. Any car or truck under around $5000 these days is getting pretty old and ratty.

With any $2k vehicle, you are often looking at a quick doubling of the initial investment if it needs, say, engine or transmission work of any consequence, and there will usually be a bunch of nickel and dime stuff that you'll need to do.

George

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
With any $2k vehicle, you are often looking at a quick doubling of the initial investment if it needs, say, engine or transmission work of any consequence, and there will usually be a bunch of nickel and dime stuff that you'll need to do.
This.

Hubby and I bought a 1988 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat last year for $500, which seemed like a really good deal at first - it was a beast that could tow a freakin' house, and it ran great! - but after paying the overdue registration fees ($600) for the previous couple of years and various repairs and maintenance items (new ignition, new battery, a fender & door from a junkyard, a set of decent wheels & tires that weren't completely bald and mismatched, air/fuel filter, oil change, etc.) we quickly wound up spending nearly $2k total.

After all of that the truck was still a POS and the operating costs were simply out of line. We eventually sold it for $600. Lesson learned. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
If you really need a truck, you should be able to pick up a good running one for 2K, at least around here you can. Any of the ones you listed will work great, a simple 4-cylinder 2wd would probably be best.

Thing about small trucks is they are always wanted by contractors and landscapers, so you've got competition there.

Stan

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
I don't have much experience with the small Nissan and Toyota trucks (heard favorable things about them). I do have quite a bit of experience with Ford Rangers though. The 4 cyl ones are lacking power of course, but get decent gas mileage and will run damn near forever. The trailer idea is a great one though. I'd really look into doing that.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Heard great things about the 4-cylinder motors from all three of your choices. Not sure about the transmissions, though.

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
I had a 2000 Mazda B2500 (4cyl, 5-speed manual) and loved it. From the factory it rode high like a 4x4 but was only 2wd. It was very reliable, I could toss it around those mountain roads, hauled lots of stuff with it (way more than it was rated for), great brakes, very sharp looking. Of course at 113hp, it was very, very slow but that's probably not something you're concerned with. Consistent 24.3MPG commuting up/down a mountain every day, best 27MPG.

Traded it in on my first Forester in 2004 (needed four real seats when our daughter was born) and now I just (a) borrow my father-in-law's trailer or (b) use the minivan, which will carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheetrock. Wish I had my own trailer though.

Good luck with your decision. As noted, I don't know what kind of condition you'd get for $2k, I sold my first Forester w/ 150k miles for about $4k (but it was in great shape).

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
a toyota hilux or a ford ranger.. we had an older model hilux that was used in deliveries and did not fail us even once and i did drive a 4.0L ranger and liked it too for its simplicity..

but a utility trailer would be better for just hauling moderate stuff around without much worries.

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
208 Posts
My mechanic would swear by the late 80's to early 90's Toyota and Nissans. Matter of fact both him and I have Nissans. Another friend has a 90 model Nisssan 4wd and he said it took 17 years and 502,000 miles before the motor has started giving up!
Good luck getting one in your price range though. I would say 4000 would be more accurate for a good one with lower miles .

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,063 Posts
No experience with the Nissans,

Toyota trucks will run forever (assuming it is a 22RE engine) but the darned things WILL rust out on you, not a matter of if but when.

Ford / Mazda see Toyota, except parts are half the price and every brain dead redneck and his step brother know how to fix it (should you have to take it to a shop)

Personally, I'll be shopping for a Ranger myself (or a Mazda B2200)

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
my first car was an 86 toy, I bought it with 310K and sold it for the same $$ 7 years later with 390K. the 22re does run forever, not a lot of power or speed but one tough little engine.

lol, the rust, you see a lot of toys with flat decks, mine I replaced with a box in better shape after the fenders fell off.

if you are just looking for something to haul stuff around in I would agree with Silke and just get a trailer. If your need a cheap run around second truck a toyota would be the ticket.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I'd pick up a tacoma, but you really have to watch out for rust. Toyota is still buying them back due to the entire frame just rusting out on some.

If you just need the hauling capacity, a utility trailer would be best.

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
That's true. The guy who bought my 99 Foz had cash due to Toyota buying back his pickup due to the rust issue. Not saying they're crap, but something to consider.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
My vote is to equip the Foz with a hitch and get a utility trailer. It'll be cheaper, and you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance or reliability.

Utility trailer FTW. :biggrin:

(on a side note, I don't have a utility trailer and have managed just fine with my roof basket with hauling lumber and large items. I keep the ratchet straps in the cargo area for the big stuff. But it really just depends on what you are planning to haul around.)

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you guys are right...
The reason I wanted a pickup is.. because I needed a second vehicle in the family plus I could use the bed...

However, towing a utility trailer seems more logical as I think of it...

so.... here I am, about to buy a sweet toy for myself.. instead of a pickup :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts